Stalled Browsing

steppenwolf

What do you use the LAN for ? I am assuming just local fiel shares, shared printers and all that kind of thing.

Exactly so.

So step one can you re-address your LAN onto Private address space. to do this set up the PC's on something like

192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and NO default gateway.

Have done but used range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255 but will change to a 1 in the 3rd position if you want!

Well, you will be pleased to know that it has not stalled once during this session ( currently 33 minutes ) so this would seem to have hidden the problem without ( so far! ) any side effects but then I don't see why there should be any side effects either. I often use the range 10.10.10.1 - 10.10.10.255 for any clients that I put on a network that uses an ISDN router of the type that does not have a DHCP Server and I have never had a problem with them!

So, I wonder what the underlying problem is as I suspect that this has 'masked' it rather than resolved it?

Thanks very much for all your assistance, I am really impressed by the wealth of knowledge out there and the fact that you are all so happy to spend this amount of time on helping me resolve the problem! It also proves what I have known for years - no matter how much you think you may know, there is still so much to learn .....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steppenwolf

• westy

• ACW

• Fat Albert

well any of the RFC 1918 address space is fine,as long as it doesn't clash with any other networks you connect to, but since you have a couple of PC's, unless you have a private IP backbone that you forgot to mention this should be fine.

Your old address space that you PM'd to me was not in the private range IRC. so this could have clashed, however this could ony really happen if the address space clashed with you point to point link, default gateway, dns servers or the end host you are trying to reach and on the surface this does not appear to be the case.

I think that two side issues could have occured. Either the name binding order or interface numbering changed thus meaning that it would first try to get hold of the dns via the enthernet interface.

Did the problem start after adding a nic card, reconfiguring or windows misteriously re-discovering the NIC card.

by reconfiguring you have re-established this info in the registry.

either way hopefully it is sorted.

dont forget there is always a good time to swap to linux..

by reconfiguring you have re-established this info in the registry.

either way hopefully it is sorted.

Well, it is looking good from here but I cannot think of what event triggered it - most strange.

where do we send the invoices or can we share a dog exercising frame between us?

How about beers at Stoneleigh?

Thanks all of you for your assistance  :)