Stalled Browsing

steppenwolf

stepps,

Ok you ipconfig and routes look OK. On your local LAN you should really use private (RFC1918) addresses but I am sure this is not the issue.

Can you do the following for me.

boot up your PC then connect to the internet then from teh command prompt time how long it takes to do

ping 193.133.97.1

and then

ping wscc.ggr.net

my money is that the second one takes ages. It looks like you are having a problem with DNS. DNS queries/lookups take ages to time out and in addition your pc usually tries 3 times.

if you can confirm the above then we can see why your pc is doing this. I suspect your PC maybe trying to braodcast using Netbios name resolution before DNS.

HTH,

ACW.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steppenwolf

• westy

• ACW

• Fat Albert

Adrian,

I will gladly do this and report back, however, remember that is doesn't always have the delay. For example there were no delays on this session - dial up, go to google (default), favourites - wscc, new posts, this thread - all no delays but then, I counted '1 and', 'two and' etc. up to 41 while I waited for this email box to appear!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Will run the test and report back  :)

When I hit the 'Add Reply' button on my last post, it worked immediately!

I experimented with pings and tracert last night but didn't actually time the results with a stopwatch but this time I logged all the results:-

Try    IP                                      WSCC etc

1       instant av 171                     1m 2 secs av 122

2       4 secs 1 lost av 131              instant av 133

3       instant av 156                      instant av 150

4       instant av 147                      instant av 143

5       instant 1 lost av 114              8.6 secs av 148

6       instant av 149                      instant av 150

I got all excited at the first try but it after that, it only confirmed my findings of last night - there doesn't appear to be a problem with the DNS server - the feeling I get is that my PC is outputting nothing  and then off it goes .......

I explained the problem to the tech team, history, environment, steps to isolate problem, state of play....

Answer from the longest haired, most open toe sandaled geek in the team....

'Tell him to rebuild the box, he could have done it 6 times already'

Its not often that I find myself agreeing with the common sense of a C++ developer :blush:  :blush:

Sorry not to be more constructive  ;)  ;)

'Tell him to rebuild the box, he could have done it 6 times already'

Trust me I am tempted to do this ( and probably will! ) but a re-build is a days work minimum - plus my professional curiosity is currently getting the better of me

:zzz:

just so I understand the results, the first ping to wscc.ggr.net by name took over a minute, but subsequent ones were OK ?

Do you use a Proxy server in the IE configuration ?

also can you change your DNS servers temporarily to an IP address I have PM'd.

just so I understand the results, the first ping to wscc.ggr.net by name took over a minute, but subsequent ones were OK ?

Exactly so - although the failure may well have been a nasty coincidence!

Do you use a Proxy server in the IE configuration ?

No I don't!

also can you change your DNS servers temporarily to an IP address I have PM'd.

Have done.

Just a thought (since my curiosity is also aroused)...

If the delay is always 40s

Have you run a search of the registry, data only for exactly 40?

If the delay is always 40s

Great idea but it isn't always 40 secs. -- the delay I just had to reply to this was 13 secs!!

I've found Win9x does this. It's probably just crap TCP/IP stack handling (typical M$ behaviour ;) ). It is a lot better in Win2000, which doesn't seem to do the totally-dead-for-a-period thing. You could also try Linux - I've got a dual boot (running Mandrake) and the net is usually much better under it.

- Dan.

Mr Wolf,

Do you have access to a packet analyser (sometimes referred to as a frame analyser) such as Sniffer?  It will be interesting to know if any/what data is sent through your NIC and your established dial up adapter before, during and after the delay.

I can get a copy to you but its a 26mb download ???

I know there was a crude version on NT4 and onwards but not so sure about 98?

Westy.

Westy,

good idea but unfortuantely win9x does have such a tool and most sniffers cant handle DUN in the normal lan versions cos IRC of how DUN sits in the stack.

however it would probably still show what I suspect in that either:

1. Winsock version has been updated by some software to a broke variety.

2. Registry has been altered at some point and the name resolution order is wrong or invalid.

3. for some reason packets are routing via the LAN first, although this would not appear to be the case looking at the routing table.

Stepps,

Can you try diabling your Lan Card in the hardware profile you are currently using (or take it out temporarily) and see if the problem remains ?

HTH,

ACW.

Do you have access to a packet analyser (sometimes referred to as a frame analyser) such as Sniffer?  It will be interesting to know if any/what data is sent through your NIC and your established dial up adapter before, during and after the delay.

Not readily I am afraid!

Can you try diabling your Lan Card in the hardware profile you are currently using (or take it out temporarily) and see if the problem remains ?

Hmmmm a result! I have disabled the NIC and the problem has gone away!!!! It has not stalled for over 20 minutes of testing including pings and tracert's. What next guys?

Excellent so it is a lookup of some sort being broadcasted across your LAN, then once it’s timed out it then goes down the correct route by using the Dial up connection.  

Now to either change it from looking at the LAN or change the time out value so it hits the internet connection quicker….

Ok stepps,

What do you use the LAN for ? I am assuming just local fiel shares, shared printers and all that kind of thing.

So step one can you re-address your LAN onto Private address space. to do this set up the PC's on something like

192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and NO default gateway.

private address space (RFC1918) is address space that will not clash with any assigned internet address space. these are 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 172.16.0.0 - 172.16.31.255 192.168.0.0 192.168.255.255.

now I dont think this is the issue but it may resolve some of the things I think are the issue as a by product.

HTH,

ACW.