• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steppenwolf

• westy

• ACW

• Fat Albert

Can't join in the IT discussion, but........

Gregory peck - peckish.  

Gregory Peck is slang for neck.....

Now, if you were Hank, you'd be hungry........

Hank Marvin.......Starvin'....

I thought you were from Essex.......

:0  :D  :devil:

Gregory peck - peckish.  

Gregory Peck is slang for neck.....

Now, if you were Hank, you'd be hungry........

Hank Marvin.......Starvin'....

I thought you were from Essex.......

:0  :D  :devil:

Yes of course you are quite correct Mr B but in these parts we are hank if we are extremely hungry but greg if we're just getting a wee bit peckish.  Not proper rhyming (sp?) slang I know  :(  :D

Some thingy or other :durr:  :durr:  :blush:  :D  :durr:  :blush: or was it Hank Marvins guitar playing  :D  ;)  :)  causing feedback  :D

I thought Gregory Peck was great in the film "To Kill A Mockingbird" a classic  :D  :durr:  ;)

I'll get me coat  :D

Funny enough that kazaa virus affected a friend of mines laptop in a similar manner really slow - it was format and reload time after which it's all working fine, her Nortons AV didn't pick it up  - my Nortons however did spot Kazaa from her e-mails.  :durr:  :durr:  :blush:  :D  I dunno  :)

The plural of virus is virus just like the plural of lotus is lotus.

Stepps

It does sound like your Network settings are resulting in a broadcast for something, typically an IP lease, though it seems unlikely. After the preset timeout expires its defaulting to whatever the current setting is and operating normally.

It's beyond me now but I'll ask my techies Monday and get back to you.  :blush:  :blush:

MrsG round to sort you out with a proper AV software package        

Now I am NOT goin' to argue with that!  :love:

I recommend downloading this and running a scan.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

Thanks Westy, I ran the software and it found one thing it didn't like :-

'ALEXA'. It found this here:-

obj[0]=RegKey : SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}

This appears to be a 'datamining' item which is now quarantined.

I am not sure of the significance of this but I will let you know if I notice any difference.

As a matter of further interest, I appear to have this problem on two of the PCs on my network ( both running IE 6.0 and both being the only PCs until this weekend used to access the Internet ) the only other PC with a modem has W2000 on it and running tracert it has not failed to get an immediate reply yet! As we speak, I am running 'Adaware' on both machines to see if a pattern emerges - which it does! Alexa appears on all the PCs so sadly it may not be relevant to the problem but I will report back when I have carried out more tests.

Stepps,

to flush DNS you need to go to the cmd prompt and type

ipconfig /flushdns

I dont think this is the problem however. When connected to the internet can you output the following commands and PM them to me.

ipconfig /all

route print

also it would be a good idea to open regedit and look at the following keys:

\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and

\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

make sure you can identify all of the items in here.

HTH,

ACW