Stalled Browsing

steppenwolf

Have just tried the tracert with a surprising result:-

I tried with both my BTConnect ISP and Compu$serve and both gave similar results most time I get an immediate response and all timings are in the 145-150ms range although there is an occasional 800 ish ms item BUT on at least one occasion with BOTH ISP's, I had a delay of approx. 40 seconds before the first hop was displayed and when that did come up, it was in the same 145-150 range as before!! Connection speed was indicated as 44,000 bps.

What does this mean? The original 'request does not seem to be being transmitted ( or at any rate not reaching the ISP's server ). It cannot be  my browser as that is circumvented by using tracert; it is not my ISP as I have tried two totally different ones with totally different charging methods ..... Help where does that leave me?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steppenwolf

• westy

• ACW

• Fat Albert

Well thats useful info.  ISP's are ok then so your PC's is the problem.

The fact that it works sometimes and not others would suggest a timeout while trying to use a certain gateway or DNS Server (possibly a corrupt cache).  Does the PC have a network card in it, or use to have one?

I'm struggling to remember, when you run:  winipcfg does it contain an option for clearing the DNS cache? If not I will have a hunt for a tool to do it with.  If it does give it a try....

I though it was interesting too as it confirmed what I thought, namely my TX has a delay on it! I do have a Network Card and I am on a small ( today 2 PCs! ) peer to peer network, both PCs running W98 SE.

rrrr the plot thickens.....

Try that clear cache thing I mentioned in the previous post also...

when you run winipcfg you should have a entry in a combo box for each of your dialup/physical Interfaces.  When you look at the one for the NIC does it have any entries for primary, secondary DNS or gateway?

Hi just wish to make a comment about broardband  :D

Just because the exchange is broadband enabled does not mean you can have it  :angry:

I can't have broardband because I am more than 5.5km from the exchange ???

I have been told that this is because we are on telegraph poles and not cable ????

don't know how true this is but i do know of other in the same situation  :arse:

Have you loaded any new software in the last month? If so uninstall it (them, one by one) and see if the problem goes away.

Not applicable

When the pause occurs, is there any disk activity?, if so

No there is no disk activity ...

To prove whether your ISP has changed something/is the problem (and BT are a problem see here for my views) get a free trial with another one (don't use AOL) and see if the problem goes away

Have subsequently discovered that my Compu$erve account is the same.

when you run winipcfg you should have a entry in a combo box for each of your dialup/physical Interfaces.  When you look at the one for the NIC does it have any entries for primary, secondary DNS or gateway?

There are no IP addresses for any of the 3 parameters.

What an interesting thread.

I've learned something very important whilst reading it and that is that if my laptop has a problem I'd be totally f***** as I did not understand a word of it!!!!!!!!!!

:sheep:  :sheep:  :durr:  :durr:  :durr:  :durr:  :durr:  :arse:

PS Westy are you hungry up there, I'm getting a bit greg down here  :(

what do you mean, you starting to turn into a man :0

Gregory peck - peckish.  :sheep:

Any wine left or have you drunk it all  ???

Possibly related because it has happened to a number of my friends, there are so-called worm viruses (virii?) which wreak havoc with registry and browser settings, usually slowing system to a crawl and often switching off server connections at 20-30 min intervals requiring reconnection.  Another symptom is changed internet home page and sometimes strange text icons appearing on desk top (on Thursdays).    Might be worth checking especially if others (kids) are into Kazaa etc.

See Symantec site for details.

Was there a clear DNS cache button on winipcfg?

Westy, sadly there was no such button.

As a matter of interest, having read Zvezdochka's post, the weekend that I noticed this problem was the weekend that the Internet got hit by a virus that attacked half the worlds servers ( about a month ago? ) and I originally put the slowness down to the Internet problem that this created but it has never gone back to how it was for me!

I have Norton A V running all the time updated daily and do not believe that I have a virus although the timing is spooky.

It just took a count of one and two and three and ......... all the way to fifty and for this BBS to respond to my pressing the submit button just now!!  :arse:

Stepps....don't use Norton AV  :angry:  get McAfee, you know it makes sense! when we get back next week I'll send MrsG round to sort you out with a proper AV software package  ;)  :D  :D  :D