There's a big Westfield shaped hole...

Nick M

This is probably not a good time to mention this... :D

... but I met a guy at the Goodwood FoS who absolutely certain that he could permanently import my Pre-Lit into the states, without modification.  He wouldn't say how; but his business was importing cars into the US, specifically Minis (not the BMWs)

You can easily import a Westfield style car to the states, I managed it.  But it is all in how you bring the car to the States in the first place.

If the car is already here, and you have declaired it as a tempory vehicle, you have no choice but to ship it back or risk it being destroyed :down:

Ric

Exactly.

I'm sure there are ways to get a car into the US and keep it here permanently, but I didn't actually want to "export" my car from the UK.  I just wanted it to be over here on holiday for 12 months and then go back to the UK, just as if it had been in France for 12 months.

I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that if you stripped the car down and sent it as a kit then the export paperwork had to support this, i.e. it might be fun and games getting the car back into the UK.  I simply didn't want that hassle or cost.

As far as the UK is concerned, you do not need to tell them that you are exporting the car, only to officially declare that it will be off the road.

As far as importing to the USA, the trick is to remove a few key components to make it un-car like.  I removed the engine, seats, wheels nose cone, bonnet (hood  :p ), wing mirrors, and steering wheel.  You can then legally ship all those components as car parts, providing when assembled, they do not make up a complete vehicle (I brought the wing mirrors and steering wheel separately).

Took me only a weekend to put the car back together.

The car will be then registered as a new USA car with a separate USA VIN no. (and no SVA!!;)

Ric

mrs westy,

when is he back from his p*** up in europe, I think he said he was over the barn saturday as well??

Mr Boycey, he was due back today but had to carry on working so will be back tomorrow pm instead.  Not sure about Sat now (at least not sure on timings) as 3 punters want to come over and look at the car    :p

As far as the UK is concerned, you do not need to tell them that you are exporting the car, only to officially declare that it will be off the road.

As far as importing to the USA, the trick is to remove a few key components to make it un-car like.  I removed the engine, seats, wheels nose cone, bonnet (hood  :p ), wing mirrors, and steering wheel.  You can then legally ship all those components as car parts, providing when assembled, they do not make up a complete vehicle (I brought the wing mirrors and steering wheel separately).

Took me only a weekend to put the car back together.

The car will be then registered as a new USA car with a separate USA VIN no. (and no SVA!!;)

Ric

All of which was way more hassle than I had the time, money (I believe it's better to ship some components separately ? ) and inclination to bother with :)

Company was paying to send a container over so I just got them to put the car in there and imported it in the simplest way possible  :t-up: