2 westy honda power

fil46

Due to work and not being able to race I sold My race westy and bought another last year, Its a 2013 honda powered s2k ( not a s2000 chassis) 13000 odd miles from new, well happy with her done a lot of road miles and loved it, But it's now time to modify

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

• Like 2

Looks nice! What ECU is it running. I note the fuel pressure regulator and MAP are still used, hence I suspect it's not Omex. What mods are you planning?

Best regards,

Ian

Welcome back Phil. :yes:

Are you intending to race this one as well at some point? 

Hopefully see you at Knockhill next year. 

First off I put the full cage on it for safety and to stiffing up the chassis, the changed the air filter it was tiny and the  location as it was drawing hot air, now that's a ram feed what a difference in throttle response and pull to end

BCGB4684.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

about six month ago I was reading about valve retainers cracking, being handy with the spanners and dieing to do something on her I pulled the rocker cover and got stuck in. Oh Me My 6 out of 16 had signs of cracking one was almost right through. boy that saved the day. I bought a tool off the net and you pull the spark plug put in a fitting to allow you to fill with compressed air keeping the valve up. did the valve steam seals while i was in too and a tart up of the rover cover.

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

• Like 7

next up she was running a bit hot so bined the plastic polo rad and devil's coolant not to say names but it aint  water, and fitted a 70mm core alloy job. after having a full blown race car to road spec is like night and day, granted the old car was fully rose jointed and on mb 13inch mag wheels and lighter. 

so what to do over the winter

Up next was a fuel pipe and brake pipe up grade I was going to put in a fuel pot but the tank has a funky one built in so no need i think

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

• Like 4

Up next was to relocate the dry sump oil tank (to make room for in the future supercharger upgrade) also I will run the filter up here now when at wet track days at knockhill ha ha. The thing was like a oil bouser got a second hand one off the net for £80 and sold the old one for £38 tidy, also fitted a oil cooler , getting a tank to fit in that triangle like my old car was going to cost £400 + so the passenger is going to have less leg room and warm feet battery is getting tucked in there too.

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

• Like 2

Now the 15 inch oz carbon dipped wheels looked awesome but that is why it drives live a bus 9.5kgs and weighted to the outer side too ie the wheel falls over when you try and stand it up. compomotives cxr is my choice 6 inch front and 7 inch rear  4.8kgs for the front wheel is going to make for better steering and help with unsprung weight. ( Sorry the wheels are sold)

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

• Like 4

Now for the brakes big all singing  and dancing ap's look good but on a westfield overkill and money wrong spent imo, my old race car was on willwood midlite's with 2.8 capri 247mm vented grooved black diamond disc's hawk dtc30 pads and black diamond grooved solid's with sierra calliper with mintex pads. I raced that car for 20 min races and would run at track days with passenger more weight and never had a issue , also Garry who used to race with me had a 266mm ap set up and I had just as much brakes as he. 

So I think tried and tested is the way to go again But I see these Powervane Racing Rotors 247mm by 22mm with alloy bell will help again with weight up front, has anyone tried or herd of them.

the old car was on a bias pedal box but this one has the ap master cylinder upgrade so I think it will stay as said I have done the brake pipes in -3 pipe 

• Like 1

Wow, you have been busy!

Are you aware that the chassis is 'beefed' up slightly for the S2000/Sport 250 cars, so it may worth checking for cracks around the rear diff housing as this was one of the areas strengthened. There some pics of the S2000 chassis here: 

Good to see you've checked the valve retainers, given what you've found. Others have done the same work and found them fine. I've not looked at mine yet.............

Now this is money well spent on any car if you want the best out of what you have GEARING, the old car was a dream quaife 6 speed with geartronics paddle shift and a 4.4 sierra atb diff sorted but cost the best part of 15 k   not again.  So the honda s2k box seams good for power  is it ?  and as mine is 15000 miles old its staying. now the car is fast but so much more to be had me thinks it's staying close to a road car but is not my daily driver it's a toy so make the toy faster 4.4 is what's being done after this christmas stuff. 

It's on a 3.6 fine for jolly or if you think your westy can hit 178mph take a look at this sheets, having raced at most uk tracks and never getting more than 136mph on the data logger 146mph will be plenty in a westy if it get's  there.  the honda S2000 stock diff is a 4.1 so 4.4 is what you want for that bit extra imo.

In the summer  I was out for a jolly and a Mclaren lt600 was up my ass oh ya lets play me said we were on a good back road and boom he was outpast and off I dropped a few and the chase was on suspension at soft and a rusty driver my heart was beating out of my chest again speed's I can't say but wow that thing could shift now it should bearing in mind it cost £185k+ it had carbon brakes he was playing with me but I was giving  her every thing it had, we stoped at a set of lights and he was smiling away sound bloke was well impressed with the westy and commented on the noise of the engine at 9000rpm he could he it over his beast its was spitting flames at  me out the top it was so cool I tell you good to see him giving it some not many would.  hope to see him again after winter upgrades he will be surprised may be.

IMG_1929 (2).JPG

• Like 1

good point Ian I have herd of strengthened chassis and stuff the diff is out so may do some work but the old car was a 1995 older chassis again to what I have and I was running 280bhp 200lbs tq and never split her till i crashed her but will be looking in to it

• Like 1

as for engine upgrades not much I think, it's on a Emerald k3 ecu looked at itb's but bang for buck it's got me thinking supercharger is way forward, turbo not much good for racing for temps and power delivery. going to get her dynoed to see what's what's, with a dry sump removing some windage ect  maybe 240bhp could be seen for now that would do till I get other things done and get back up to speed in a westy

2 hours ago, fil46 said:

about six month ago I was reading about valve retainers cracking, being handy with the spanners and dieing to do something on her I pulled the rocker cover and got stuck in. Oh Me My 6 out of 16 had signs of cracking one was almost right through. boy that saved the day. 

what a save!!! Mine were all fine but the peace of mind from knowing it’s done was worth it