Bloomin' cyclists again!

Rory's Dad

So we went and picked our son up yesterday lunchtime, then out to a country pub for lunch, then out to a show and then brought him back home today. All very good until it got dark and this was in Cambridge.... 

Bloomin' cyclists everywhere and maybe,, 30% did not have lights front and back and say 15% had no lights at all! Apparently cycle lights are stolen all the time and, in order to reduce the risk, lights are down-graded so they become less attractive to thieves or partially removed or even not replaced. The consequence is that the lack of cycle lights, particularly in the wet, is absolutely lethal for bikes and vehicles too! 

Glad to get back to Norfolk!! 

Hi Martin, 

They clip and off so easily and with LED lamps they can be much smaller etc.  Hence it's just stupidity / laziness:bangshead:

It's not just Cambridge it's country wide!

Most motorists don't wish to kill cyclists but they've got to play their part in looking after themselves!

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking too but its just not happening. These are not muscle bound lycra clad speed merchants but ordinary men and women taking their lives in their own hands - bloomin mad. Maybe they've never driven a car...

It's not just cyclists.  Coming home from work tonight I passed 2 cars with no lights on, they were older cars with no DRL's either. 

I like the Dutch where they in general seperate bikes and the rest of the road vehicles. Seems like a much better idea to me 👍

It is stupid that they don't have lights and appropriate light clothing, but you will never stop this.

As for cars whoever thought it was a good idea to have a dashboard lit when light are not on was a bit dim. Drivers who do not pay attention see the dash lit up and assume the lights are on as well, daily I see at least one with no lights on.

1 hour ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

I like the Dutch where they in general seperate bikes and the rest of the road vehicles. Seems like a much better idea to me 👍

The Dutch go a bit further than that. Cyclists have right-of-way at every junction and roundabout. I spend a lot of time on the rads in Holland and it quickly becomes clear that getting even slightly close to an incident with a cyclist is massively frowned upon by everyone. So they get a very wide berth...

11 hours ago, Blatman said:

The Dutch go a bit further than that. Cyclists have right-of-way at every junction and roundabout.

Lots of cyclists around our part of Staffordshire think the same rule applies here.😆

The same applies to Oxford where cyclist just pull out without looking, even smashing into other cyclists.

Still better than China where cycles are being changed for battery operated scooters, they do not use lights to extend their range, they ride on any part of the road, use the pedestrian crossings at full speed, ignore traffic signals and on and on and on. Problem is that they travel fast and a lot of the vehicles are silent making pedestrian use suicidal, imagine trying to drive with these hazards.

How long before our streets are filled with silent, semi-invisible, fast moving missiles?😲

Like the minority of bad drivers, we usually only remember the bad cyclists.  I understand how vulnerable they are on the roads and take great care to ensure I don’t endanger or threaten cyclists.

The other cyclists who give them a bad name are the militant ones - we all know the type.  Riding two or three abreast in Lycra at 10mph below the speed limit while having a chat, causing traffic to back up behind them.  Going through red lights and pedestrian crossings when in use.  The ones who give you a mouthful when there’s not enough room for them to weave past you on the offside of your car.

i think the solution is very simple.  Everything else that uses the road needs a number plate, so bicycles should require them too.  If motor vehicle operators can be identified and reported for illegal driving or behaviour on the roads, it’s only fair that bicyclists have the same rules equally applied to them.

It could aid in reducing cycle thefts if every bicycle had a number plate, particularly if it was permanent and non-removable.  The militant cyclists will say its impossible, which is of course nonsense and just identifies the unreasonable ones.  There are places where cycle number plates are compulsory.

I’m not suggesting making cyclists pay road tax as they cause no damage to the road surface.  I do think adult cyclists should be offered third party insurance to cover them against personal injury and property damage claims, and if they don’t take it up and are found to be at fault, then they have to pay out of their own pockets.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

Like the minority of bad drivers, we usually only remember the bad cyclists.  I understand how vulnerable they are on the roads and take great care to ensure I don’t endanger or threaten cyclists.

The other cyclists who give them a bad name are the militant ones - we all know the type.  Riding two or three abreast in Lycra at 10mph below the speed limit while having a chat, causing traffic to back up behind them.  Going through red lights and pedestrian crossings when in use.  The ones who give you a mouthful when there’s not enough room for them to weave past you on the offside of your car.

i think the solution is very simple.  Everything else that uses the road needs a number plate, so bicycles should require them too.  If motor vehicle operators can be identified and reported for illegal driving or behaviour on the roads, it’s only fair that bicyclists have the same rules equally applied to them.

It could aid in reducing cycle thefts if every bicycle had a number plate, particularly if it was permanent and non-removable.  The militant cyclists will say its impossible, which is of course nonsense and just identifies the unreasonable ones.  There are places where cycle number plates are compulsory.

I’m not suggesting making cyclists pay road tax as they cause no damage to the road surface.  I do think adult cyclists should be offered third party insurance to cover them against personal injury and property damage claims, and if they don’t take it up and are found to be at fault, then they have to pay out of their own pockets.

Sounds good idea but our over stretched authorities have an uphill battle on the registrations at the moment, not excluding the particular regulations which we all have discussions about in this Forum.

Indeed the Chinese have registrations on electric bikes but there are so many they rarely bother with misdemeanors.

The opposite side of the story is if a cyclist  does not use lights it’s largely there own life they endanger, not others.     Evolution...    Personally as a cyclist with a high vis jacket, flashing helmet, and more lights than you could shake a stick it still appears I’m invisible .    Today’s idiot.. yes just today’s.. I see them most days on a 50 mile round trip commute.  It always the same problem, folk just don’t think, and judge risk based on themselves.     I was in traffic following a train of cars doing 25 in a 30.   The car behind me not satisfied over took but was left with the problem that really there had never been enough space for another vehicle between me and the X5 in front so she cut me up.    She’d get home 3 seconds faster and only endangered my exposed life.      That’s the key difference if you as a car driver bump into a cyclist you are likely to hurt them a lot.  If a cyclist bumps into you  are barely likely to feel it.    

Yes a rider should have adequate lighting/ reflectors etc, but I’d have to question a car drivers eyes if they with their lights on are unable to see a bike, or possibly pedestrian (these don’t have lights).  Or anything else unexpected on the road.    

Blooming car drivers.... 💋🚴🏼‍♂️💋

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DamperMan said:

The opposite side of the story is if a cyclist  does not use lights it’s largely there own life they endanger, not others.     Evolution...    Personally as a cyclist with a high vis jacket, flashing helmet, and more lights than you could shake a stick it still appears I’m invisible .    Today’s idiot.. yes just today’s.. I see them most days on a 50 mile round trip commute.  It always the same problem, folk just don’t think, and judge risk based on themselves.     I was in traffic following a train of cars doing 25 in a 30.   The car behind me not satisfied over took but was left with the problem that really there had never been enough space for another vehicle between me and the X5 in front so she cut me up.    She’d get home 3 seconds faster and only endangered my exposed life.      That’s the key difference if you as a car driver bump into a cyclist you are likely to hurt them a lot.  If a cyclist bumps into you  are barely likely to feel it.    

Yes a rider should have adequate lighting/ reflectors etc, but I’d have to question a car drivers eyes if they with their lights on are unable to see a bike, or possibly pedestrian (these don’t have lights).  Or anything else unexpected on the road.    

Blooming car drivers.... 💋🚴🏼‍♂️💋

I gave up cycling especially on country roads due to ending up in so many hedges after being squeezed out by cars and especially vans😖

I always have high regards for cyclists but some have scant care for what danger they could be in when taking on a vehicle at least 10 times their own. So anything they can do to gain recognition must be implemented - wear high visibility clothing, having proper lighting (not just flashing lights which confuse in wet weather), and it would be useful for all to have some form of road training. I had to take cycle proficiency test before my parents would let me out on the road and with work we were regularly training our guys on vehicle use(not that it cured everyone).

I don’t ride or drive in big cities and that’s a whole different game.   I find In the country  and villages it’s not lorries or buses which are of concern.   Although I admit I hate the sound of 38 tonnes coming up behind me they always slow down to  and pass with lots of space.   Most vans are pretty good.    The worst drivers are women in a hurry to get the kids to school and the elderly.   

a few years back I cycled from bicester to meet up with some friends 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺 and watch some rugby in twickenham. The next day though central London and up to Milton Keynes.  Through London the cycle lanes are a total afterthought,  typically 3 lanes, normal, bus and bike.   The bike lane swops each side of the buse lane.  Delivery vans and Mercedes cars parked on the bike lane.   The bus Lane are mostly empty.   I ended up dodging in and out of the bus lane which was ok for me as buses are big and make lots of noise so easy to avoid.     I’ve ridden in towns in Germany and the bike lanes are respected and thought through and all cyclists use them. 

off course like all sections of road users there’s bad riders, motorbike riders , van and car drivers. I think there’s a marked distinction between riders in places like London compared to most other places.   With so much traffic there’s a bigger incentive to push through and take chances.   I have a lot of respect for the lorry and bus drivers in big cities who must have eyes on stalks managing to avoid collisions.  

The arguments of licencing bikes / riders is compelling like other road users.  I’m not adversely against it on the technical points...    but it would need to be the rider not bike licenced, I have 5 bikes!....    Then again cycling should be encouraged and not hindered as much as possible, it’s environmentally very green as a mode of transport, great health benefits,  all kids should ride to school, it takes polluting traffic out of towns.     Personally I find it a great stress release after work, so has mental health benefits.   

A teacher at my eldest’s school has taken to shouting at some kids not waring helmets.   No kids ware their helmets, it’s not cool.   He rather than ware his helmet has stopped riding.    Although I’d prefer him to ware his helmet, I’d prefer him to ride.   I never even owned a helmet 10 years ago how many of us did!   I think adding licences etc would simply stop a lot of people from starting to ride.