Guy Martin and a JCB Fasttrac

stephenh

Just a heads up for anyone interested, that the attempt on the Landspeed record for an agricultural tractor is on the tele tonight, 9.00pm on channel 4, just before the highlights of the grand prix. Not everybodies cup of tea I know, but might be good for a laugh.

Oh, and I happen to know the result, but I'm not letting on!!😉

Kettle on then! thanks @stephenh that should be good fun, if only somebody would air lawnmower racing, that is most hilarious.

I have been told today that there were not 1 but 2 of these Fastrac's made and one is currently at the Nurburgring, might that be to see how it corners?

• Like 2

It did make me chuckle that an old bloke in his shed had built a faster 'tractor' than the combined might of Ricard & JCB had managed.....up until they chucked another million quid at the problem.

At least the JCB looked a bit more like a tractor than the Allis-Chalmers in the US did.

The definition of a tractor is open to interpretation so I did actually wonder what on earth they were trying to achieve.

Still enjoyed the programme though.

• Like 2

I worked as a design engineer on the 3000 series Fastrac for 13.5 years. It changed a lot over those years, but I must admit I never saw it going at over 150mph!!

Phil Price is a first class coded welder. He welded up my live axle back case and you would struggle to see where it was repaired after.

Great seeing JCB doing so well!

Andy

• Like 1

I very much doubt that the engines in those Allis Chalmers have ever been used to pull a plough! they looked more like the sort of engines which go into what the Americans call stock cars, ie lightened "stock" saloons, tuned to race around oval tracks at very high speed. 

In contrast, the Fastrac used a diesel engine, which while highly modified, was nevertheless very much based on JCB's own manufactured engine, built at Foston in Derbyshire, which is used in the standard Fastrac range (built in Cheadle Staffordshire, by the way),  to do all manner of agricultural work such as ploughing, harrowing, etc.

Anyway, it's British and it absolutely blew the American Allis Chalmers record out of the water.👍  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

We need to see it speed ploughing now :d

The aluminium parts might not be quite as strong as the original steel plate items!!😄😄

Maybe a very small light single furrow plough, on some very light sandy soil? And they stripped off and discarded the hydraulic gear off the back, so you'd need to work out a method of attaching the plough! 

2 hours ago, stephenh said:

The aluminium parts might not be quite as strong as the original steel plate items!!😄😄

Maybe a very small light single furrow plough, on some very light sandy soil? And they stripped off and discarded the hydraulic gear off the back, so you'd need to work out a method of attaching the plough! 

Made it 2WD too!

One of the Fastrac's special features was the self levelling hydraulic rear suspension. The principal is that as you loaded up the rear axle by any soil engaging implement, the self levelling rear suspension would then react with the hydraulic cylinders. The reaction would then transfer the loading to the front axle. The net result being awesome tractive power! Easily outstripping the competition with same or even moderately higher HP tractors.

Equally the drive comfort when out of the field was far superior, owing to suspended front and rear 'live' axles, resulting in higher speeds being achievable.

The key limiting factor was the load speed index, which in the very early days (1990's) was significantly limited. Using truck 'winter tyre' was the initial step. Today tyre technology can sustain R38 710 width, taller than 6 foot!

Always enjoyed being a part of the evolving technology of the JCB Fastrac.

Andy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im still waiting to watch it from my Sky planner