Snapped Throttle Cable 😢

MrPid

Whilst I’m sat waiting for recovery does anyone have a part number for a throttle cable use for the Jenvey throttle bodies? (2.0 Zetec)

Doesnt look anything special, just the usual nipple on the pivot which is threaded through to the pedal.

Thanks in advance

A1603DB0-B748-4223-8EC2-D5F70FC0228A.jpeg

Wilkinsons  .. bicycle brake cable inner . 99p  last time I bought one 

Buy two and keep one under your seat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mole said:

And check the throttle stop bolt is adjusted so not all right foot pressure going on the cable..

How do you mean buddy? 

At full open on the throttle body make sure the pedal hits the throttle stop

if it doesn’t the butterfly stops but you keep putting force on the cable eventually leading to problems 

3 hours ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

At full open on the throttle body make sure the pedal hits the throttle stop

if it doesn’t the butterfly stops but you keep putting force on the cable eventually leading to problems 

If you don't mind my rephrasing this - the throttle pedal stop should stop the pedal from moving any further just as the throttle body is fully open. This will keep there from ever being enough tension on the cable that you can break it.....if set up properly the cable tension is only made by the return spring on the t-body and it will not matter how hard to press on the pedal.

dave

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have eventually found a cable and nipple set up that fits, mountain bike cable nipples are too fat tbw!

Just thought I would ask how you fit the cable? Do you;

a - Fit the cable with the pedal in the closed position and throttle bodies shut? or

b - Fit the cable with the pedal pressed against the back stop and throttle bodies as wide open as possible?

I am also thinking to fit the cable with the back stop wound in a little, then bring it out a turn just to make sure there is never any chance of stretching the cable.

Aaaallllsssoooooo - What are people using to seal the pedal box covers? Mines appears to have black sealant and clear sealing, one is much stiffer than the other and difficult to remove. Im keen on no leaks, but also would like to be able to remove the cover again without it being bonded and risk breaking it.

Thanks in advance,

2 hours ago, MrPid said:

I have eventually found a cable and nipple set up that fits, mountain bike cable nipples are too fat tbw!

Just thought I would ask how you fit the cable? Do you;

a - Fit the cable with the pedal in the closed position and throttle bodies shut? or

b - Fit the cable with the pedal pressed against the back stop and throttle bodies as wide open as possible?

I am also thinking to fit the cable with the back stop wound in a little, then bring it out a turn just to make sure there is never any chance of stretching the cable.

Aaaallllsssoooooo - What are people using to seal the pedal box covers? Mines appears to have black sealant and clear sealing, one is much stiffer than the other and difficult to remove. Im keen on no leaks, but also would like to be able to remove the cover again without it being bonded and risk breaking it.

Thanks in advance,

I fit the throttle cable starting at the throttle bodies finishing at the pedal set at the fully closed position first and then set the pedal stop bolt at WOT.  I sealed the side panels where they go over the top chassis rail with silicone and then used '3 rib' draft excluder 3 rib all around the pedal box cover to seal against the chassis and scuttle, seems to work reasonably well.

• Like 2