Visited ROC Bunkers in N Yorks.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

We had a brilliant day today. We decided to go visiting 5 ROC bunkers from the Cold War and one aircraft spotting station from WW2. We entered 3 bunkers and the WW2 spotting station. Had great fun trying to find one in amongst cow poo and all the surrounding woodland but after an hour we found it. One bunker was full of water and one was sealed. The one that was sealed used to be intact inside and was complete with all the fixtures and fittings. It is such a shame that instead of taking nothing and leaving only footprints that people trash the places and take what they can. Here are a few pictures of some of the bunkers.

IMG_6757.jpeg

IMG_6784.jpeg

IMG_6830.jpeg

IMG_6755.jpeg

IMG_6782.jpeg

IMG_6845.jpeg

IMG_6821.jpg

IMG_6777.jpeg

IMG_6754.jpeg

IMG_6828.jpeg

bdbbe053-18f6-4656-a64e-f2bbdb25a6c4.jpg

IMG_6771.jpeg

IMG_6805.jpeg

IMG_6839.jpg

025bae21-5295-4c7b-977e-9f38c81087f9.jpg

• Like 3

I've visited many over the years in my neck of the woods (Suffolk/Norfolk).

Some still have the beds and have had maps still on the table.

5 minutes ago, TableLeg said:

I've visited many over the years in my neck of the woods (Suffolk/Norfolk).

Some still have the beds and have had maps still on the table.

Thats what I was hoping to find in two. One I know is supposed to be intact inside has now been sealed with two padlocks.

Another was always welded shut so I was hoping that would be intact.  The welds are now broken and when we lifted the hatch there must have been 10' of water inside.

What did surprise me was the number of live butterflies that we found in the main operations room in 2 of them.

We did find a pair of bed ends and a bottle of old spice.

• Like 2