North East to South West Scotland mini-break

Kingster

Not sure about N of Dalmellington, but S to Carsphairn is a fast A road - quite scenic, but busy, not my favourite.

The Carsphairn (great cafe!) to Moniaive road is very good - a lot of it single track, with cows / sheep.

It would be a shame to miss the Galloway forest part, especially the Newton Stewart to New Galloway road.

Dave.

PS - I would probably favour the St Johns to Moniaive route if bad weather.

• Thanks 1

Ahh, forgot you were doing this. Just back from a week in Prague and now in the middle of painting the kitchen, so won't be able to meet on your trip. Hope all goes/went well.

I decided to forgo tomorrow’s part of the trip due to the probability of tonight’s downpours making the roads somewhat dodgy. 

but we had a good 10 hrs out in the cars today 😁

Was a fair trek in one day and mostly dry - the new £20 hood helped though 

75AB87EF-1AA1-4321-B481-ACD3B9B7697E.jpeg

4FBE2006-5692-46C1-9146-DEFDABAA0F15.jpeg

• Like 3

On 01/10/2019 at 08:59, Davep1 said:

The Lockerbie to Langholm is a fantastic road - a bit rough in places though.

You’re not kidding about it being a bit rough in places! Crickey - there were a few brown trousers moments when I realised why the car I had just overtaken has slowed down! 

But equally, in other sections it was a corker!

We were really lucky getting a totally clean run from St Mary’s Loch down to Moffat - last time I was there it was rammed with camper vans and cyclists. Also had a huge bird of prey feeding on roadkill just in front of me at one point. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I decided to forgo tomorrow’s part of the trip due to the probability of tonight’s downpours making the roads somewhat dodgy. 

but we had a good 10 hrs out in the cars today 😁

Probably a wise decision as the overnight rain was (and still is) very heavy.

Kilmarnock in the heavy rain would not be a holiday...

Hats off to you for doing the mileage you did - but try and come back to Dand G sometime.

Enjoy the lie in!

Dave

• Like 1

You stopped at the cafe at St Mary's loch on the A708 up from Moffat(?) - brilliant road.

10 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

You stopped at the cafe at St Mary's loch on the A708 up from Moffat(?) - brilliant road.

Yep that’s where we took the picture. As you say, cracking road! Even better when there’s no other traffic on it whatsoever 😁