Fab visit to Holmpton Rotor Radar Station & more.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

What a fantastic day I have had today.

Felt so unbelievably relaxed and enjoyed every minute of my day.

Up at stupid "o" clock and went for breakfast at a little cafe on Bridlington Harbour. The harbour was so quiet and it was a lovely place to sit and eat. [shame about the smokers so I eventually moved inside the cafe. Lovely clean food, well priced and super coffee and it made a great start to the day.

I stopped at Hornsea Mere to feed the birds and then made my way to the bunker.

WOW is an understatement. The bunker is absolutely huge and so interesting. It even has 3 floor levels.  All areas apart from a small section are available for viewing. They encourage you to touch items and they even removed chains in areas to grant us better access. Inside is a recreation area and the juke box, space invaders, pool table and pinball all have permanent credits on them for you to play as long as you like. I had a great time playing Galaxian, Scramble and darts. Pinball also took a hammering. The guides who take you round are really informative and friendly and I was in the place nearly 3.5 hours. Lots of top secret stuff on show and various films been played giving the history and role the bunker played throughout the Cold War. One room I found very moving and left with a tear in my eye.

From here I ventured to Cherry Cobb Sands to find the decoys that they built in the war to move the port of Hull.  Lamps would be hung from wooden poles, with the light shining down onto artificial pools of water underneath. The pattern of lights would hopefully resemble Hull docks when viewed from a passing Luftwaffe aircraft, and so trick the bomber crews into attacking empty mud flats and farmland safely away from the city. I was over the moon when I found the place and will be going back for drone footage.

I also found the location of a heavy gun battery nearby which is well hidden but I have been told that there is quite a lot left to see, so that is a return visit.

Even saw a huge field just full of sunflowers.

Here are a few pictures of my day.

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_6006.jpeg

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5979.jpg

IMG_5936.jpg

IMG_5988.jpg

IMG_5976.jpg

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_6001.jpg

IMG_5975.jpg