E-Scooter test ride in Germany

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

My '2nd home' Nuremberg has been 'invaded' by a plague of escooters since my last trip!

They are owned by a Swedish company: https://www.voiscooters.com/

You use an App to find them. Here's the closest ones to my hotel this morning:

image.png.3502cf2e08b4546dc34d6c051390d185.png

They are parked street-side with no physical lock or charging station:

image.png.b5e07e0f695bb25fad0c918d2599c222.png

You just scan the barcode and push three times to get them moving:

image.png.eaa0428e447430797e48451cfb5abd0b.png

It shows you the charge level before you set off and the costs, up front.

And a few rules:

image.png.f469fe0f44781a990389733b358dac74.png

Controls are simple: brake on the left thumb operated throttle right and blue bars to indicate charge status>

image.png.f811fac67b2da0c83f5008ae7e2462df.png

At the end of your ride you can lock and end or reserve and end (not sure how long you can reserve for, yet?).

image.png.bd61612e597c962fed409bea7c1cdf09.png

You take a pic and upload it to prove you've parked it sensibly.

and you get your bill straight away (I've linked it to my paypal).

image.png.6ea73f9342060981e2d082668a69d217.png

My normal 30 min walk has taken only 10 mins today!

This shows how many are available in the city:

image.png.bd5a7629de25deee6f51e9fd9db5f7fe.png

This is probably 5km wide.

Be great to see them in the UK, but stories like this won't help: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/13/tv-presenter-emily-hartridge-dies-in-scooter-crash

imageproxy.php?img=&key=bd05212a9971dbf3

• Like 2

Must be great to do a lap of the Nuremberg ring!

• Haha 1

Saw a lot of this sort of thing on the Costa Blanca couple of weeks ago.  Sadly all still illegal to use on roads or pavements in UK

ew-08-fat-tire-electric-scooter-1.jpg

4 hours ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

Must be great to do a lap of the Nuremberg ring!

You’re the expert one day ringer. Can I watch you do it Russ?:praise:

We used these when we were in Vienna and they're awesome! It was via Bird though, but principle/process was identical.

Vienna is a lovely, sprawling, quiet city with excellent cycle paths though. I can't see these working in the UK until cycle networks improve. No different from riding an ebike in my book and they're allowed, so why not?

• Like 1

Meanwhile in the UK, govt doesn't like them because TAX, and the public is being brainwashed against them by the media.

It's the same issue with E-Bikes.   Surely one of the most environmentally friendly methods of personal transport..  NOT, driving a 2.5 tonne Tesla powered by electric generated envirobadly, and made with huge carbon foot print and enviromental foot print from around the world..Rant over and  E-verted!    E-Bikes are required to be  limited to about 15.5 MPH making them slower than a normal bike and more dangerous when in traffic.        20MPH would make them actually a very sensible commuting choice, but then they would be classed as a motorised bike and not be allowed on cycle paths.. then there would be tax, MOT and insurance etc, which pretty much kills it..    

• Like 1

E scooters would end up like the rental bikes in Oxford all chucked in the River Thames I think.

We now use E bikes to commute to work with a combined mileage of 300 miles a week, and were told charging costs of 10p a day.  The pay back is two years as the bikes are about 3k each. If we drive it takes 40 minutes if we cycle it takes 65 minutes. I was worried about the 15.5mph limit but the reality is slightly different, at 15.5 mph the assistance starts to reduce and disappears at 16.5 mph so on the flat we tend to ride at 16.4 mph. If I use my road bike ( what I would call a racer in the old days) the journey takes the same amount of time 65 minutes but I will need to shower at work due to effort.  Where a E bike are faster is hills, head winds and acceleration. Yes they limit should be increased to 20mph as they are frustrating zooming up to the speed limiter with ease but I assume getting that extra 3 mph would mean charging both end of the journey, this we do not need to do at the moment.  Other frustrations are yoyoing with other bikes that do not like being overtaken!

• Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 11:17, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

Be great to see them in the UK, but stories like this won't help: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/13/tv-presenter-emily-hartridge-dies-in-scooter-crash

Whist this was of course a tragedy, the story is at pains to point out that e-scooters are illegal in the UK at this time.