Blyton casualty... calling gearbox experts

DamperMan

Indeed, the article I was thinking of in the back of my mind, was one about BGH from some years ago, so the basic info would have been "safe".

However, if they're anything like us, when explaining something, we tend to give enough detail to answer the question and get the concept over, but intentionally miss out key things you'd need to know to make it work! (Unless of course I was being paid to show someone how to do something!)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update...   I bought a late type 9 4x4 box and have been for many lunch times making one box out of 2 boxes.   So the 4wd box’s front casing, main shaft, lay and gears.   2 Wd’s input shaft, selector shaft, and box tail.     The Haynes manual is beyond useless so I’ve been learning as I go/ fail/ win.   Slightly annoyed with myself at the moment..  finally it’s all going together and making sense... but I Dropped a roll pin into the bottom of the box.  It didn’t fall out when I rotated the box so it’s stuck to the magnet...   I’ve just ordered a flexi magnet of amazon for tomorrow’s effort at fishing it out .    I don’t fancy stripping the box to get it out.   

DF144187-3048-4B7C-AD27-CC7B505DA96C.thumb.jpeg.a567eb8d2af47e6660ddaee751568114.jpeg 

i didn’t expect to find a chain in the 4x4 box! 

253247A4-6AD4-49CD-9CCA-01FFFF56B044.thumb.jpeg.82b89b68c76938c2dc2308dd3a038aee.jpeg

lots of spares between the 2 boxes.  I’ve mostly used the 4x4 parts as the 2wd broken box was full of metallic partials.   Even the bearings felt rough and full of nasties. 

735BF4B6-955B-45D5-A678-7A00599E9FCE.thumb.jpeg.632b1868b15907b8653d3d85a4474e77.jpeg

somewhere in that black gunk is the failed box’s magnet.

98BCFEA8-2727-431B-9230-C2C25A16749B.thumb.jpeg.948273d46de478b866186879f0d2881f.jpeg

The late V6 box has a larger layshaft bearing.  The layshaft bearing does not run on an inner shaft but the front bearing runs on a bearing carrier which goes through the front casing. Held in by 3x blue bolts.  

C4F2CAAB-3CB2-4CBC-A14E-69A3BF094866.thumb.jpeg.30ed21b3cd0f29c418009cc37b6fa73b.jpeg

The gearstick centralising cam thingy is totally different on the 4x4 box’s.   The selector rod is a little different too. The role pin hole for the centralising cam is in a different position so that all needs changing between boxes.     A few more lunch hours and it’s going to be together.   With some self satisfaction

To add, the main shaft is different on the 2wd box vs 4wd,  same length but the Speedo drive section is in a different position.    I’m not using the Speedo drive anyway so kept with the 4x4  main shaft to avoid stripping all the gears off it. 

• 1 month later...

Finishing the gearbox has been a slow burn.    Grabbing half an hour at lunch times when I can be bothered.   Finally got it together and put a gear stick on it.   R 1 - 3 - 5 all good but the stick would pull it self back out of 2nd and 4th.  I pulled the tail off and realized i'd mixed the selector shafts up between 4x4 box and 2wd,  the gearstick centralizing spring loaded jobby was pulling the stick out of 4th and 5th.   I guess an hour or so I would have sorted that.      But my confidence was knocked a little.    Any gearbox experience was 25 years ago and there was not much.   I'd given up on the Haynes.   It was built from memory (from stripping 2 boxes months ago) and looking at how each bit worked.  With 2 gearboxes of parts in various tubs there was no fail safe of  "I wonder where this last bolt/ shim/ wireclip/ should have been fitted".     It takes me a full day to change a gearbox so I was thinking if I've messed this up I'll waste at least 2 days swooping boxes back and forward and also could cause damage(cost to this HD box I'd built).      I spoke to  3J and for a relitively low cost would strip, check, reassemble and test the box. I dropped it off Tuesday and was not expecting it back for a few weeks.  its done already.    Sounds like other than the selector shaft it was fine.   At least I have confidence to get it fitted before summer.  Worth every penny :)          

• Like 6