Golf R owners? [was: Audi S3 / RS3 owners?]

Wobblyprop

I'm considering buying a used S3 or RS3.  If an RS3 it would be a couple of years old, if an S3 then quite new.

I'm interested in any feedback from owners or anybody else with feedback on 'driving pleasure', running costs, one car versus the other or anything else.  I'm expecting to test drive myself, but I can't do this for a little while, so hearing others' experiences is the next best thing ....

Not owned either but a close mate has an 18 plate s3 from new. He loved it at first but now has buyer remorse. He describes it as hugely competent, does everything well but a bit 'numb' and devoid of character. He's said on more than one occasion he should have got the golf r and saved himself a load of money. Although the interior is much better on the s3.

I suspect the extra 100bhp and 5 cylinder character of the rs3 may go someway to give it a bit extra 'something'. As you say test drives are in order.

I have the same ea888 engine of the s3 in a leon cupra and brother in law has same in a golf r and both have been 100% reliable. His is running 360bhp and has done several track days in it although the clutch is now starting to slip.

• Like 1

Had one and it was great . Also had several golf r's and preferred those. Chassis more involving and the dct 7 speed brilliant.

Unfortunately both of the above are going to make you a target for theft, they'll break into your house in the middle of the night for the keys or carjack you on your driveway.

I don't care how nice a car is, nothing is worth that, at least not IMO.

Near to me at the moment there's been a rise in thefts, bikes, quadbikes, trailered racing cars and petrol/racing gokarts. It doesn't seem to be pro thieves, but bored youths who steal joyride and dump. Nonetheless I feel uneasy about the Westfield for the first time in 20 years and it's a horrible feeling, I certainly wouldn't want that feeling with my every day transport. I take some comfort in knowing that I live in a quiet cul-de-sac and very few people know I have it, and I always keep a eye out for anyone who may be following me home.

5 hours ago, Arm said:

Had one and it was great . Also had several golf r's and preferred those. Chassis more involving and the dct 7 speed brilliant.

Interesting about the gearbox. The cupra has the 7 speed dsg and I just cant seem to gel with it. I miss the 6 speed manual. Dont get me wrong when driving 'spiritidly' the changes are phenomenally quick and slick but when pootling along in auto I still find it a bit dim witted.

Tuned A3 Quattro Sline sportback here.  Audi still have the best interiors and are capable/ safe and fast in all weathers.  They are a fairly un-exciting to drive though but you have a Westfield for that.

DSG auto boxes are fantastic so forget some comments saying manuals are quicker, they just ain't.  Only had an S3for 2weeks and had to revert to the A3 for towing purposes and frankly I didn't notice any difference as my A3 has more options than the S3, just a few bhp less.

BMW 3series now have optional Xdrive 4wd so have caught up with the Quattros for surefooted pace, so worth considering as well.

Driving pleasure I'd be looking at the newer civic type r if you can get over the looks. 

Does an BMW M2 creep in at that money? 

're the gearbox you are right Steve. I would still interact with the flappy paddles or stick during normal driving unless I felt like like being really lazy. What worked for me and to put it above a manual gearbox was to drop into sport when slowing down or when getting ready to overtake. It's such an easy switch into sport then back to normal. We both miss it and will be looking for dct in the next car as it's such a good auto and manual .

Thanks to all.

Due to comments on here and elsewhere I'm now looking towards the Golf R, with DSG.

Moving up from a Mk7 Fiesta ST Mountune, which I do enjoy a lot.  But I want to lose the jiggly ride and gain 4WD; flappy paddles; and more acceleration.  Perhaps in some ways I suppose I'm trying to replace the good aspects of my long-gone Subaru Impreza Turbo from the 90's.  

Any comments on Golf R vs Fiesta ST?.

• Wobblyprop changed the title to Golf R owners? [was: Audi S3 / RS3 owners?]

The golf R is better than the fiesta in every way,  quicker, better traction, more comfortable, more spacious, better made etc, however I found the fiesta more "fun" (I went from fiesta st2 to a golf gti performance pack.) Just something about it that put a grin on your face that the golf doesn't. The golf R is in a different league though than the gti from a standstill, it just launches especially in dsg form.

If your getting one a few years old try to avoid the keyless kessy system, the first incarnation is loved by car thieves, if a new one I believe the latest gen is much better protected.

I've had a Golf R, mark 7.5 version. bl**** insane and absolutely fantastic. Hated the DSG for unnecessary interference and poor decision making, but on the paddles it was ok. If you go older get a manual, if new then sadly you can only get DSG now. 

For price the the Golf r is a better buy and feels a lighter car but has less gizmos.   Dsg works better in S mode on the paddles on all the VAG cars.  Normal auto mode is meant to feel lazy,  to save petrol consumption buy selecting the most economical gear.

9 minutes ago, SootySport said:

Normal auto mode is meant to feel lazy,  to save petrol consumption buy selecting the most economical gear

I don't think it feels particularly lazy it just seems to not know what gear it should be in. Particularly after braking for slower speed bends.  I believe a dsg remap makes them better.

Agree though much much better in s and on the paddles.

Well, the gearbox is not psychic in that situation unless you can tell it the angle of the corner before you arrive. It will however work out the correct gear when it reads your response on the throttle pedal as you progress round the corner. 

I know they are re mappable but even that won’t help. 

I prefer the S4 /RS4with Torsen 4wd.  Only have the A3 to appease the wife, she was terrified with all that power.

No I get that but have had/driven other autos that drove the exact same roads but the hesitation is much more pronounced with the dsg for some reason. In fact I've never even noticed it before in other autos. I was expecting the dct just to be better.

It's just making me use the paddles even more which is no bad thing I suppose.