• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Origin of the Westfield Diesel Engine (Wiesel)

RichardOlive

Diesels have their place for sure, and are undoubtedly more sophisticated than 10-15 years ago, but don't forget the weight penalty that's lurking there.

The engines tend to be heavier (they need to be bigger or turboted to produce the same power as a petrol engine) and diesel is heavier than petrol.

I'd happily have one in my tin-top car, but I think they're a *looonnnng* way from being viable in a car like a Westfield.

Part of the fun that I get from the Westy is the noise it makes. That would not happen with an oil burner ???

Good dumper truck engine if anyone is interested,single cylinder and wind up started ,one prev owner the council!

Does not need  a gearox it will pull away in top if you rev it to the limit , about 567 rpm .

will be very good on diesel one fill up and you would never want to drive it again  :love:  :love:  :(  :(  :(  :xmas:  :xmas:

The engines tend to be heavier (they need to be bigger or turboted to produce the same power as a petrol engine) and diesel is heavier than petrol.

Old ones are heavy yes, but the new generation of diesels are ally blocked. The important issue here is that they have lots of torque and this in my opinion is far more significant for the way a car performs than power. This is also something which bike engines lack.  :)  :t-up:  ;)

Old ones are heavy yes, but the new generation of diesels are ally blocked. The important issue here is that they have lots of torque and this in my opinion is far more significant for the way a car performs than power. This is also something which bike engines lack.  :)  :t-up:  ;)

:zzz: Yawn...

When you can buy a NA diesel engine with similar torque and power, along with all up engine+gbox weight, to a bike engine, then that might be a worthwhile comparison....  :p  :)

Here we go again  :devil:  :D  :devil: on yer marks, get ready, go  :D  :devil:  :D  :xmas:

Now, if the rumours that Mazda's research into diesel rotaries are even half true, you lot, especially TimD, may be eating your hat (or your Bec) soon.

1300 cc, twin rotor, 7000 rpm, 150bhp in a package about the size of two footballs

I knew side valve technology was the way forward  :p  ;)  :D