• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Which clutch for zetec 1800/mt75

Triggsy

Hi,

Ok, i've ordered my starter kit and pick it up in the 2nd week of January. I've already got the zetec 1800/mt75, etc but i'm a bit confused about which clutch i require. I know i need to get the special bearing from Westfield with a spacer and a spigot wotsit but what about the clutch plate and cover? (I'll also have the standard 1800 flywheel).

I tried a search but to be honest the results made me more confused than before.

Thanks

Simon

One option is to go for the lightened flywheel from Raceline. That uses a different clutch that removes the need for the modified bearing.

The modified bearing is the cause of a fair amount of heartache, so it might be worth considering paying a little more to make the install a but more reliable.

Andy

Bin the MT75 and go the type 9 route

the Raceline steel flywheel needs a diferent [expensive starter motor] but if you don't have one it's not as bad as having to through one away.

Doesn't the Type 9 need some imaginative modifications to the chassis to get it to fit though?

Not questioning that the Type 9 isn't technically better (although apart from different ratios haven't really seen any justifications for going that route), but AIUI it is a bit more of a challenge to get it in.

Andy

Doesn't the engine have to be mounted differently or something? Not going from first hand experience, just what I've read on here.

Happy to be corrected :)

Andy

Nope. Engine sits in the same place, on standard mounts etc etc. The rear gearbox mount may need some attention, but it's a long way from being a big job........

Engine mounts only need looking at if you're going to take advantage of fitting a type 9 and move the engine a bit further back.......

mt75_type9.JPG

Type 9 on the right. the gearbox is a bit smaller but the bellhousing my not be. ???

Thanks for the replies. I'm sticking with the MT75 as i have no desire to mess about with ratio's. When i ordered the kit the guy at Westfield showed me the chassis which has the mounting positions included for both the MT75 and type 9.

Cheers

Simon

The part numbers for the clutch are available from Westfield's technical support line.   You will need the modified release bearing too of course.   You can get away with the 2ltr flywheel, which was also fitted to later 1.8ltr Zetecs.  

I bought my clutch from the factory, I seem to recall the price being about the same as from Fords.

I have found the MT75 fine, but then again, I'm not suffering from sprint series fever!