Window chip.

Kezman

Just wondering if anyone knows of a crafty little trick or product that can fill/ reduce etc the effect of a stone fleck on a car window. I’m actually asking in the context of my VW daily drivers side window  that picked up the most tiny pin head size fleck this morning (to dam small to be called a chip) rather than the front windscreen of the Westy but I suppose the same applies of course. It is admittedly so dam small that a glass company would be hard pushed to repair even if it were on the main windscreen but this is on the drivers window, which they don’t repair anyway. Didn’t know if something like a “rain x” would help, much in the same way that a wax can help with small scratches etc??

Well Rain-X is supposed to repair windscreen chips in much the same way as I believe the professional roadside repairers do, with what I believe is a clear cold set acrylic. However if the chip is so tiny it might not be very practical to fill and repair? I've actually got a Rain-X repair kit on the shelf in my garage, but never got round to using it, so cannot help from a practical experience point of view.

My Westfield got a decent size chip in the windscreen last summer.  I got a local repairer out through the insurance to repair it, but in his words "He'd have to make the chip bigger to fill and polish with repair resin".

I wasn't to comfortable with his suggestion and declined his offer to go at the screen with a small screwdriver and a hammer.

He suggested polishing it out but said he wasn't authorised to do it. Anyway, after a lot of googling and youtube videos, I bought this of Ebay.  Can't remember how much but under a tenner.

Glass_Polish.thumb.jpg.7f555d3549398bc31c398ba78e3c6155.jpg

Literally 5 minutes with a polishing wheel on my dremel and the chip is all but invisible.  If you look closeley you can just about see the imperfection but it's 99% better than it was.

Edit: was so impressed I did my varifocal specs with this compound too.  The specs came up like new.....!

• Like 1