The newbie book

JonnyBoy

Well, it has to be said that having read many of the posts on this board put me in a nasty position.......one with hindsight!

I did use the old forum before i started building my car back in 1999 and asked a few questions about recomended direction to take etc....

now i realise that if I were to do it now, i would do it quite differently...chioce of drivetrain, wheels and tyres, etc etc blah blah...

Not a problem though i hasten to add as i think my car is great and 'love' it to bits.

One thing that would have been useful would have been the 'newbie bible' whereby the key points of interest are laid out in an easy to follow pro's and con's manner.

This would be a great inticement into the club...and a far better investment of funds as opposed to the discussed diary and club logo issues.

I'm not having a go btw...just saying it would be a really good thing.

I know the magazine deals with these issues from month to month,,,,but just imagine a handy byte sized book that tell you everything you need to know...

I'd do it myself, but i rarely contribute any valid points  :arse:  and so it would be useless..!!

With the infinate wisdom of the well rounded and respected blatman, the engine techy knowledge of matt seabrook, steppenwolf and his tips and tricks, mark and his join the wscc......the list goes on a long way with great knowledge in many areas and diciplines, so no offence for not adding your name.

Well, the iron has been laid in the fire

(i bet this was suggested last week or wasnt it?!?...all those words...need to save them up for my dissertation :( )

It is a good idea, as would be a builders FAQ on the web site somewhere. Trouble with these sorts of things is that developement of our cars continues all the time as people find new and better parts/techniques/suppliers etc, so they quickly become out of date.

I've said before that if I get a spare few days, I'd write a FAQ, but I haven't found the time yet, and pressures of work and home are currently taking care of what little spare time I have. If that changes (and I hope it will. All work and no play makes Blatman a dull[er] boy) then it'll get done...........can you imagine the arguments though........ :0  :0  :D  :D

I really like the idea of a builder's FAQ - I wish there had been one when I built my car 'cos it would have come in very handy indeed. Because of the nature of our cars ( hardly any two are the same ), it would be a fair old undertaking but it could be broken down into sub FAQ's with contributions from people with specific knowledge in an area and with a specific install.

Any FAQ could also have lots of hyperlinks to existing internet published articles so that 'the wheel doesn't have to be completely re-invented'. Arranged as described, the load of production could be shared out.

Having said all this, the search facility on this board is a FAQ facility of sorts although it does mean trawling through a lot of additional posts to get to the nugget that you need.

If the FAQ was too good, what would we all have to post about!  ???