"Do A Search"

adhawkins

and I wholeheartedly disagree with people that say that joining the club isn't worth it

Don't remember anyone ever saying that regarding the WSCC  :D  :devil:  :D  :D  :p ......... but if they did ......... a fleet of taxis await  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D  :xmas:

Happy Easter  :D  :D  :p

Hook line and sinker, my friend, hook line, and sinker........it was just too good to resist.

You have my whole hearted apologies.  

I never *just* say do a search in my responses, unless it's to some-one who really should know better. I know who they are........

As for defensive, no. It may sound like it, but that's not it. As the Webmaster noted in "the other" thread, I'm not using any tricks or special techniques when searching. I'm just using the tools that are there, and giving my search phrases a bit of thought......you seem to have cracked it, but the "boolean* search instructions are clearly written right next to where you type the search phrase. In my experience, most people who have trouble using the search, haven't actually read the instructions.........you can't help the helpless, and nothing is foolproof to a suitably talented fool.........  :p:p:D:D

Ive speed read this but... I think the issue is that 'Today' and older will really only find posts before today (ie not including today). Whereas 'Today' and newer will only find posts today.

I may try and get the whole of the new site trawled by google regularly so that you can search there (and more importantly people find the info here without knowing about here)

Personally, I've always selected 'From the beginning and newer' for my searches, that seems to give the best chance of getting results.

Agreed, the search function is a bit hit or miss at times (but no more so than Google for example). It just takes a bit of thought about what you want to search for (try typing 'linux' into a Google search for example, you might get a lot of hits).

I'm surprised that the 'tone' of this place appears to have changed quite a bit recently. I'm not sure why it is, but I've probably contributed to it a little because of my often 'abrupt' nature. If so, then I apologise, but people that know me know that this is the way I am, and that it's not meant to be offensive to the individual I'm addressing. It isn't helped by the fact that it's difficult to tell when something is being said tongue in cheek through the written word (which is why my posts that are intended to be jokey are punctuated by smilies).

Used properly, smilies can provide a much better indication as to the intended tone of the post. Personally, I think they're overused (ahem, Mr Stanton take note :)), to the point that people don't necessarily assume that a smilie indicates that the poster really is joking.

This has turned into a bit of a ramble. I guess what I'm trying to say is 'chill a little guys' :t-up:

Andy

Life is too serious to be taken shortly  :D  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :xmas:  :D  :bangshead:

I don't have to do this for a living so its all just for fun  :D  :D  :D  :p

Life is too serious to be taken shortly  :D  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :xmas:  :D  :bangshead:

I don't have to do this for a living so its all just for fun  :D  :D  :D  :p

Couldn't have put it better myself (although I do do this for a living :)).

Wish everyone would treat it as such...

Andy