Cadwell Park Feb 24th Pics and a video, and words..

Andrew

Due to the spell of mild Feb weather, a late booking was made on Thursday for this one.  Weather forecast showed variable amounts of mist and fog were probable, but most were giving a sunny afternoon. It turned out the little bit of morning mist cleared quickly and we had sunshine all day. :sun:

The day started off badly however. When I started the car on the trailer, I noticed a strange whirring sound.. a bit like a radiator fan, but as I haven't got one I knew it wasn't that! It was the starter motor whirring away! I'm guessing the solenoid contacts must have stuck closed. :( I hastily disconnected the battery. (no kill switch) It was getting close to briefing time, so I went off and signed on, got briefed and had breakfast. Meanwhile Pete removed the starter, and couldn't find anything obvious wrong with it. Refitted it, and connected it up.. it worked! ??? 

I then took the car out and bedded in some new brakes, and generally warmed it up, while Pete wandered off and signed on and had his own little briefing. 

All was good for a few sessions, and then it failed to start again. Starter motor was now falling apart!! It had lost two long bolts that hold it together! Hell's bells!! :cry:  Pete again  removed the motor.. getting quite good at it now.. We couldn't find any replacements for the missing bolts, but managed to hold it together with a couple of tie wraps. Re fitted, and once again its working. Wasn't confident the wraps would hold for long.. but we were out on track again.:yes:

The starter did eventually fail late in the day, but we gave up on it and bump started the car. Oh and the micalor exhaust clamp snapped at one point, a couple of jubilee clips sorted that one though .. easy peasy! 

The actual trackday was OK. Quite a few cars by MSV standards, but still no queuing to get out. Neither of us really found anything fast to play with, although there looked to be a few quick cars there. An MR2 with a Honda K20, and  a rapid M3. On the other hand there were a few dreadfully slow cars. A couple of Civics and a Ka. 30 to 40mph round Charlies! It would have been good to get a few Westys out but I realise most people need more than a couple of days notice for these things. 

A few pics from the day, and a video. Pete at the helm. We got a new Gopro with a separate microphone, so through the day I experimented with different mic positions. I started with it right next to the rear K&N air filter. It wasn't a good sound. I think it picked up only No 4 cylinder, and sounded either like an old Prokart, or it had knocked out a big end! On the video below, the mic is on the other side of the engine bay, trying to get a bit of exhaust noise mixed with the intake? Cant make my mind up if it's good or bad but I think next time out I'll continue experimenting with different positions. Any opinions welcome. :t-up:

DSC_7277.thumb.JPG.cbccdcda5ef77df9abfc74c9a7502dd8.JPGDSC_7295.thumb.JPG.8e9be122c0ec38a60183dd4b78c3d88f.JPGDSC_7322.thumb.JPG.8c6935402623e536f2e42cba83d5681b.JPG

• Like 5

Sounded pretty good to me, maybe a touch high on the 'engine' noise (both induction and clackety internal noises)? Passenger footwell works well for me, when exhaust is on that side :yes:

Glad you had a good day despite the niggles!

8 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Passenger footwell works well for me, when exhaust is on that side :yes:

Thanks Adam. I was going to try putting it on the inside of the scuttle to see if it makes it less harsh, but the way I'd wired it in made it too much of a pain to do quickly on the day. Next time I'll give it a shot. :yes:

Thanks for sharing, sounds awesome - I've now watched some of your other more recent videos without the external microphone and have to say the microphone is a vast improvement. Personally I like induction sound over exhaust.

I have a microphone ready for my camera so would be interested to hear the versions with the microphone located elsewhere.

What type of microphone do you have and does it have a fluffy hat fitted to the microphone?

20 minutes ago, HappyDave said:

I have a microphone ready for my camera so would be interested to hear the versions with the microphone located elsewhere.

What type of microphone do you have and does it have a fluffy hat fitted to the microphone?

Tbh, I wasn't going to bother with the earlier vids as the sound is so naff. I like a bit of induction too, but it sounded nothing like induction. More like a lawn mower!

The  mic is just a little cheapie thing, not sure where it came from.. I took the foam cover off and placed it in a bit of rubber hose, and cable tied it to anything handy.

The Ka was probably practicing for that new EnduroKa series.

what do you use for the video overlay old bean?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

The Ka was probably practicing for that new EnduroKa series.

what do you use for the video overlay old bean?

Yes, there were a handful of Ka's, some stickered up for the series. 

The data is overlay is done by using a V-box sport to get the data, and RaceRender to do the overlaying. :t-up: I tried a free version first before paying for a better one.. can't remember how much, but wouldn't be too expensive.. cos I wouldn't would I. ;)

• Like 1

A second vid, me at the wheel this time. Was my last session of the day. That deathly slow car is I think  a Citroen C1? .. not as I though earlier, a Ka. I had a bit of a wobble turning into the mountain section at one point, and at the end caught up with a Hot Hatch race I reckon. Somebody didn't want to move over. After the vid ends I trailed around with them for a couple of laps and then gave up. I was going to go out for another session, but at about 4-30 a Mini clattered the Armco at Coppice, and they announced end of play due to the damaged barrier. (He's put a vid up on the tube if anyone wants to see it)

• Like 1

looks  like you had a cracking day andrew. seems to be something about minis at cadwell last time i was there one crashed pretty bad almost went over the barrier

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ben (bunje) said:

looks  like you had a cracking day andrew. seems to be something about minis at cadwell last time i was there one crashed pretty bad almost went over the barrier

Yep, you'd have enjoyed it Ben. There were a few well driven MX5s there. :yes:

DSC_7312.thumb.JPG.4657717a841114ca8ae103f23c0fed1a.JPG

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Yep, you'd have enjoyed it Ben. There were a few well driven MX5s there. :yes:

DSC_7312.thumb.JPG.4657717a841114ca8ae103f23c0fed1a.JPG

i would definetly have enjoyed it i cant say mine would have been well driven though:d