VW Security

Ian Podmore

Company tin top (Passat) was broken into at the pub at lunchtime!

As was a colleagues Skoda Octavia.

Alarms did not go off.

Colleague can now unlock all doors, and open all the windows with just his finger!  And he can lock it again.....

I shan't tell you how they get in, but it is very very easy and quick with only damage to the lock barrel.

So much for  dead locks and alarms.  Luckily only £10 was stolen from my colleagues car and nothing (that I have noticed) from mine  :)

So top marks to the VW group on their security :devil:  :durr:  :devil:  :durr:

Hi Ian

I've just got a brand new company Passat-I thought the Eriks had sorted this problem out??  :(

Buzz :(

you may know that Watchdawg had this as an item a few months ago.

Thing is, I as all the windows were probably down, that this is still the same problem I experienced on 2 Jan 2000.

That offense was done by a gang who had done over 150 VW's but, 'cos of our storming police setup as theyd committed the offences over 4 areas in a 10 mile radius no-one put 1 & 1 together for a while in "Cop central"......

Only 2 ways to have a VW group car and know that you won't lose the contents.

1./ ,Put everything in the boot of a passat and make sure that you double lock it & lock the back seats in the upright position

2./ take everything out.

Otherwise its pot luck with the Crims.

Oh, and anyone at VW group UK dares to tell you "Oooh we haven't heard of that one sir" ask them if they always talk bullsh1t or if its todays special offer? :angry:  :angry:

It only takes a small insulation boot on two contacts to fix it, that’s the shame of it. It’s easy to fix yourself, within about half an hour, I’ve ‘fixed’ loads of cars.

Didn't bother to report it etc.  Not worth the trouble.  Nothing was stolen, a new lock barrel is only £32 plus fitting.

Part is probably so cheap due to the high sales volumes  :D .

Does anyone know when VW fixed the problem, wife is worried about her 2002 Golf?

Mine is an old 1999 model, but the Skoda was a 2002 model, so the problem still exists on them.

Immobiliser works well though......

I had a Passat at my last job, one morning car failed to start, immobiliser light on, towed away to dealer.......

Never saw the car again cos 8 weeks later (!;) I started my new job!!!!

We have a few Passats on the fleet here - is there anywhere that gives details of this "fault" that I can direct people to - didn't see the Watchdog prog.

Cheers

VW dealer has just advised me that any VW (Group) car with the facility to open and close the windows with the key in the door lock is susceptable to entry by this method!

Wonderful.

They can either blank off all door locks except the boot, or disconnect what they call the 'convenience unit'. :arse:

I don’t think it prudent to say exactly how the little darings bypass the alleged VW security but for anybody who would like to apply a fix, here’s one. All you need to do is insulate the base of the central locking contacts which can be found at the end of the barrel lock, it’s quite easy once you’ve got the door trim off. Insulating tape would suffice, but could vibrate loose, I’ve used heat shrink sleeving on friends cars ;)

Or could just do what I’ve done and disconnect the wires and use the remote,barrel locks are still virgins :blush: Another option is to change the front door handles for rear ones so they don’t have a key hole anymore :durr:

Sooty,

those fixes sound good

The only problem is, if its a company car you own,. will you ever be arsed to waste your own time fixing the company mule?

Ians comments back up the thought that VDubya must be secretly run by George Dubya's other brain cell.

(and no i'm not anti-war before I get flamed, or will I get flamed for saying that..... :0 )

My vote goes on the heat shrink...  :xmas:  ;)