Hello from Essex

TomW

HI Everyone,

Sorry for being a bit quiet,  I'm located in Chelmsford,   I picked up my engine and I've been spending all of my spare time in my garage working on some engine detailing.  Thought I'd attach a couple of pictures and see what everyone thinks so far :)

I've so far done quite a bit more, removed and refurbished the engine mounts, removed the ac compressor, got a shorter drive belt and tested it for correct fitament, taken the engine loom out for its trip to Westfield to be modified, removed the rocker cover and started stripping the paint off, finally refurbishing the alternator and all the other pulleys on the drive belt, Just trying to get as much done as I can before the chassis arrives! im quite happy with how the engine is coming out so far!

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good. To make your life so much easier, get an engine stand from Machine Mart. You can do so much more for what it cost. Unless you are passing Berkshire and you can borrow mine. You will need to take the sump off and also strip lots more off and its worth its weight in gold.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ces340-340kg-engine-stand/

889054684_1aEnginestrip.thumb.jpg.0d8b79b147c428e505a151bf2621b9ab.jpg

647454688_4Engineready.thumb.jpg.6669fe897b218247f56d62538cede82c.jpg

An engine stand deffinately makes life much easier! Do get a decent one like the Machine Mart; the cheap eBay ones are ok if you just need very basic engine support, but I’ve found they’re usually not very good when it comes to things like turning the engine round and upside down. The Honda is a heavy engine, so on a cheap eBay special, this is even worse.

- So much easier doing things like the sump and some of the ancillaries when you can just flip the engine upside down on a stand! And it’s one of life’s unwritten little rules, that unless you’re already well experienced at something, making the job easier, let’s you do it better!

6 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

- So much easier doing things like the sump and some of the ancillaries when you can just flip the engine upside down on a stand! And it’s one of life’s unwritten little rules, that unless you’re already well experienced at something, making the job easier, let’s you do it better!

And getting the spark plugs out when the rubber whatsit doesnt work in your socket set, just roll the engine over and they are on the floor :d

Hello from Sunny Bristol!

Hope the fingernails last until the kit arrives!

est of luck.

Thank you for your advice everyone,

Hectic week for me this week so not much in the way of progress as work is having me stay away from home quite a lot at the moment.  On the plus side as I was up north with work I got a chance to go back to the Westfield factory and dropped off the loom to them so one more thing off the list. 

Got an engine mount now and will put the lump on it this weekend!  I've still been carrying on in my spare time in the evening's when I've been home.  Done some work around tidying up the rocker cover, the intake manifold and alternator, 2 weeks away now!  scary days! 

Has anyone got any recommendations as to an accurate torque wrench? ideally one with a good range so i can use it across most of the build?

Torque wrenches are one of those things. There has been threads on them here and you need to spend millions to get the one that torques the nearest , allegedly. I have a Teng one, which cost about £50 or so and I cant vouch for the ' within 0.000001 Nm ' , but it came certified and nothing has broken or fallen off. I believe that using a torque wrench in the correct way is probably more the key to getting a sensible value when doing things up and being mine is spring tensioned, to unscrew it after using to not weaken the spring also helps.

Glad you have an engine stand . Its such a good device when you need it , but it then spends years in the loft when you dont.