Decorating advice needed

Sparkymart

The Mrs has been on at me to decorate the hallway so thinking it would be a good way for getting some westy upgrade credits I agreed...big mistake

After removing to layers of old wall paper In one half of the house I started at the other end and Found woodchip under the top layer of paper but the best part is it's stuck straight to in un-plastered plaster board and it's not coming off without the plaster board 

Any one got any ideas to cover it up or get rid of it 

Cheers

• Thanks 1

I found this.

I cannot i'm afraid help you with regard to the damage to the trunking. The removal of painted woodchip is one of the most tiresome and frustating jobs a decorator will come across. Add to this a plasterboard substrate and it can often turn frustration into a nightmare.

The use of a steamer here is not recomended and therefore should be stopped before more damage is caused to the substrate and trunking alike.

Useing something like an 80 grit sandpaper break through the paint film thus allowing moisture to penatrate the woodchip, then fill a spray bottle with a squirt of detergent and hot water and concentrate on an area of no more than 1M2 at a time. 
Spray the walls and allow 10 to 15 mins soaking time then spray again wait 5 mins and start to strip.

Use here a quality sripping knife with a good clean edge and adopt the attitude of patience and hard graft, grit your teeth and wonders will be achieved. Any advice you require to the damaged plasterboard will be forthcoming if required.

and this.

Use a wallpaper removing liquid.

Wallpaper removal gels and liquids like Zinsser’s DIF Gel use special patented enzymes to completely breakdown the wallpaper paste and consequently, do all the hard work for you. All that you need to do is roller or spray on the solution and wait for 15 minutes to allow it to work. Reapply and wait for another 15 minutes (yes go and make yourself a nice cup of tea and read the paper for a while). You’ll then find that that horrible woodchip wallpaper that you’d been having nightmares about simply glides off.
There’s very little, if any, sticky mess because the old wallpaper paste is no longer sticky (the enzymes in DIF Gel breakdown the stickiness of the adhesive). And that’s really how simple it is.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks Geoffrey . When no decorate one of the bedrooms it was the same and I ended up ripping all the plaster board out and using the opportunity to re insulate the wall's a weekend jod turned into a nightmare 

I dont envy your task.

You don't want to damage the plasterboard.

Overboarding also brings issues with costs, skirtings, architraves, sockets etc.

I would try the gel stripper first.

Get a new wife who doesn’t care about the decor.

• Haha 3

I completely agree with you there but she is tolerant with the Westy up grades and my weekends away watching Motorsport

• Like 3

Just go ahead and remove the plasterboard, in the long run it’s going to be less work.  don’t wallpaper it again, paint it with emulsion in the future. No wallpaper in my houses for the last 30 years so a lot easier for a re-dec.

• Thanks 1

Yes, sometimes it’s just easier to bit the bullet right at the start thean find yourself ever deeper into trying to work round the issue and having to re-board, and/or get skimmed anyway. 

Well I popped to Screwfix this morning and brought a bottle of zinffer's DIF and a tiger tool guessing I've got nothing to lose apart from £20 if it didn't work and I needed to rip it all out

So after 15 minutes soaking the woodchip I set to it with the scraper and boy was I amazed the woodchip just peeled of and I didn't even damage the backing paper of the plaster board . So now the woodchip is of I'll get the plaster board plastered before I carry on .

So thanks again @Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AOfor the top tip 

• Like 5

So pleased you got sorted Martin.

Seeing as it came off so easy, watch the Mrs doesn't give you more rooms to do.

• Haha 1

If I could think of a way of justifying this as a pinned post in the FAQ section of a car club, I would do!! That’s amazing, I’ve spoken to Decorator’s and builders etc over the years on how to get that infernal stuff off cleanly and safely and no ones ever come up with a way!

Thank god I’ve none anywhere at the moment, but for the future Geoffrey, thanks, that’s a cracking tip!

• Like 1

Dave I was really surprised how well it worked on one wall there was 3 layers of lining paper on top of the woodchip which started to peel if the wall  by its self as it zinffer's was soaking in .

Just take a look at the review's for it on the Screwfix website

• Like 1