Front number plates

Rayzinzerbar

Im not sure where to put the front number plate, my first choice would be below the front nosecone with a slightly smaller than standard plate. 

Do you have any issues with clearance on speed bumps etc?

Do you have any issues come mot time due to smaller plate?

Have you had any issues with police pulling you up due to smaller plate? 

My second choice is a sticker on the top of the nosecone. 

I've run with a 3/4 plate below the nose before now although I currently have a full size plate fitted again.

My car is set-up with the Westfield reccomended ride heights and I've never had an issue clearing speed bumps with either the standard plate or the 3/4. 

No isses at MoT time as I always refitted the standard plate so as to avoid any potential fail.

Not here, but I live in the Essex countryside and do most of my driving in Suffolk and Norfolk where there's more tractors than police cars. I suspect if I lived in a town or city I might have more issues.

I had a 305 x 75 plate on mine for years, never any problems with police, bumps or mot

I mount my No plate with a couple of fairly soft rubber bobbins (bit like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTI-VIBRATION-RUBBER-BOBBIN-MOUNT-10x10-M4-MALE-6mm-MALE-6mm-45A/202322717794?hash=item2f1b5fac62:g:N5gAAOSwCpRbCPT8

This allows the plate to fold underneath then spring back if you do hit a speedbump, or front kerb, and stops you cracking the plate, or worse, pulling a chunk out of the nosecone.

Dave.

• Like 1

I got pulled and fined on the Widnes Runcorn bridge on the way to Oulton Park . My plate was 3/4 and the

Cop said his plate rec.machine didnt pick it up.  Whats the law for Bikes then ?

9 hours ago, pistonbroke 2 said:

Whats the law for Bikes then ?

Front plates not allowed if the bike is registered after 2001.  Older bikes it's up to you but not a legal requirement.

Dont know if they were abolished on (padestrian) safety grounds or the fact that their orientation couldn't be read anyway....

13 hours ago, pistonbroke 2 said:

I got pulled and fined on the Widnes Runcorn bridge on the way to Oulton Park . My plate was 3/4 and the

Cop said his plate rec.machine didnt pick it up.  Whats the law for Bikes then ?

You should only have been fined if the font was not the required size and / or type.  If the font was a legal one and there was sufficient blank space around the lettering as required, it’s not your fault his machine failed to detect your plate.  Was it a show plate or did it have the required manufacturers reference number visible on the bottom?

I run a  3/4 sized plate, but my Westie does run quite low (I keep meaning to adjust the ride height, - especially after going down to 13s!).

Touch wood I've not had any issues with being pulled, but I can confirm that it works fine on the ANPR multi storey cars parks, so it should pass as legible on any ANPR camera.

Previously I had  full size one stock on the nose which I hated (see signature) that had been on from new, and never gave any issues, although I doubt any auto recognition system would pick that up due to the angle.