Hi I'm new! ..and can you identify my car?

MartynF

Hi all

Glad to have found a good looking forum. I've bought a 7 style car, but with lots of unknowns, mainly the actual brand/model of the car. It's a kit car, that much we know, with a 1600 Pinto engine (now on a weber), with cortina rear axle and cortina front brakes (we think).

Here's some pics, look forward to hearing what you think I own?!

IMG_8253.JPG

Hi

There is no V5, and the seller was the wife of the guy who built it, and he passed away unfortunately, so no info at all!

Not road legal either.

11 minutes ago, MartynF said:

Hi

There is no V5, and the seller was the wife of the guy who built it, and he passed away unfortunately, so no info at all!

Not road legal either.

Hopefully it was very cheap then. 

Looks like some sort of Locost. Might get more info over on Locostbuilders.co.uk 

If you want to road register it factor in about £1000 for IVA etc and a fair bit of time to make it pass (will not pass as it stands).

Good luck with it though :yes:

Looks like a Locost to me too. I would download yourself a copy of the IVA manual from vosa if you wish to put it on the road. It would need a few little jobs doing to make it road legal like the front indicators position and external radius/edges, reverse lamp etc but it is possible. Looks like a nice car. Hope you have lots of fun tinkering with it! 

10 minutes ago, MartynF said:

Could it be a DAX?

Unlikely as the nosecone doesn't look like a Dax one. Also the bonnet and scuttle look a little to "squared off" for a dax design. I'm going with Locost. 

22 minutes ago, GaryD1971 said:

Unlikely as the nosecone doesn't look like a Dax one. Also the bonnet and scuttle look a little to "squared off" for a dax design. I'm going with Locost. 

Thanks mate. So am I right in saying that a "Locost" is not actually a manufacturer/designer, it's basically a generic name given to home made sports car, in the spirit of the original Lotus 7? Did the Ron Champion book coin the phrase?

Here's some more pics:

trackcar 017.JPG