Show me your dashboards !

tc3nitro

After originally wanting a clean dashboard without any switches it is quickly becoming apparent that this is just not going to go through the IVA without having some wired switches on the dash.

I know the savage switches are not the greatest but from all I have seen these look the best. Unless anyone can suggest anything else ?

I've worked out I need 10 savage switches and a starter button : Fog, Side lights, Main beam, Full beam, L Ind, R Ind, Hazards, Wipers, Washers and Heated front screen.

I do have mikes freewheel 8 button system that I will be able to use after the IVA on my wheel or possibly buy an additional Transmitter for that and use that on my dash. Running a AIM strada with road icons so that covers the illumination bit.

Could anyone that has used these or anything else that looks great post a picture up for ideas.

Thanks in advance !

I really hope no-one sneezes :angel-emoticon:  :popcorn:  :laugh:

(someone, somewhere must have "that" photo)

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Mark Stanton said:

I really hope no-one sneezes :angel-emoticon:  :popcorn:  :laugh:

(someone, somewhere must have "that" photo)

Oh I have...

Ahh...

Ahhhh...

Ahh Chooo...

A32DD32F-AB6B-4DDA-9D69-7EC434116316.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

(I really must apologise, I don’t know what came over me. It’s just not on, still taking the wee wee out of someone, after all these years! But I just can’t help it. It doesn’t get better with time, either.)

:p

FreeWHEEL controlled IVA compliant dash.

BED95AB9-5DB7-4B46-BADE-A401E4E79DD9.jpeg

208AE671-7947-4DEA-9C59-D1FEE87BCDD6.jpeg

if you added a BeamSTOP to the FreeWHEEL and got the FreeWHEEL changed over to the “Dave” firmware you could do something similar using any momentary style switches, mine are from Caterham, but Savage work too. Then you only need one button for headlights and sidelights, plus a main beam/dipped beam button. Likewise, you can have more than single speed wipers, (the Savage wiper button is just on/off if I recall). My wiper button steps through intermittent, slow, fast, off with each button press.

The above is using two transmitters, one for the dashboard buttons, and one for the wheel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

if you added a BeamSTOP to the FreeWHEEL and got the FreeWHEEL changed over to the “Dave” firmware you could do something similar using any momentary style switches, mine are from Caterham, but Savage work too. Then you only need one button for headlights and sidelights, plus a main beam/dipped beam button. Likewise, you can have more than single speed wipers, (the Savage wiper button is just on/off if I recall). My wiper button steps through intermittent, slow, fast, off with each button press.

The above is using two transmitters, one for the dashboard buttons, and one for the wheel.

What is the "Dave" Firmware ?

Also I thought the freewheel included the blink and beam stop so I would not need to add extra modules?

Those Caterham buttons look great did you purchase them direct from Caterham.

• Like 1

Not the best shot, but you get the idea. Caterham switches with an Arduino dash controller used pre and post IVA with the addition of Freewheel wheel buttons post IVA.IMG_3459.JPG

More details in my build thread here: 

Yes, direct from Caterham.

The “Dave” firmware was done by Mike for me specifically, it includes the multi press button logic for things like the wipers, and a program wash wipe function. (You press the screen wash button and the wipers wipe while the button is held down, once you let go, they give a few more wipes and stop.) one of the eight input channels on the transmitters is also programmed as a single “flick wipe” operation.

Bear in mind my knowledge of the standard FREEwheel is limited to what I’ve read on the website, but as I understand it:

The standard model includes the BlinkSTOP functionality for the indicators, as does mine. It also includes the basic BeamSTOP functions. You still have separate sidelight and headlamp buttons, but the FREEwheel replaces the main beam change over button. It has a signal sense wire connected to the headlamp circuit, so is aware if they’re turned on or not. If the lights are off, pressing the main beam button will just flash the lights. If the headlamps are on, the FREEwheel main beam button will toggle the main beam on and off with each press.

The sepperate BeamSTOP box on the other hand is what Mike calls BeamSTOP Plus!

It has two momentary buttons connected to it, “lights” and “main beam”, it then connects to three relays; feeding side lamps, feeding the headlamps and a change-over relay that switches between dipped and main beam.

one press of the “lights” button, turns on side lights, a second press also turns on the headlights, while a third press turns the lights off again. If the headlights are on, pressing the “main beam” button, toggles between dipped and main beam, with each press. If the headlights are off, then pressing the “main beam” button, just flashes the lights.

So in my setup, I have the “lights” button on the dash wired to the BeamSTOP, while, so I can control main beam from the steering wheel, the “main beam” button on the BeamSTOP is actually controlled by a relay on the FreeWHEEL!

I know it sounds complicated, but in practice, it’s all incredibly easy to use. But critically, you don’t have to think about how you’re using anything, because it just works like it would in a production car.

And when you’re pressing on in the twisty Peak District roads, or on the side of a Welsh mountain, the last thing you want to be doing is remembering which lighting button does what, or how to get the wipers on etc.

I know set ups like mine can sometimes be a wee bit tricky to get your head round, so for anyone that does fancy having a go at something similar - and bear in mind you can use what ever type of momentary switches you fancy, not just the round billet type, (in fact, I still have toggle switches for main beam, indicators and the horn, all in the standard Westfield positions, it’s just mine work the FREEwheel).

Do feel free to give me a call to talk it through, if that’s easier, for you. 07769 908575.

(It’s my work phone number, so already “out there” in the world and the web!)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

Not the best shot, but you get the idea. Caterham switches with an Arduino dash controller used pre and post IVA with the addition of Freewheel wheel buttons post IVA.IMG_3459.JPG

And having seen Ian's setup working in the flesh so to speak, this really is a cracking system too, though using the Arduino requires some programming and electrical skills, it's a great project, for those interested.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Must say that is really impressive, looks like a production car interior 

• Like 2