Forum Search Function

Peter (Monty)

I recently noticed that the forum Search has changed. It used to be that the search scope was set by which page you were on when you clicked on search, making it very easy to search a particular topic or forum section. This seems to have changed now to a general search but the previous behaviour was really useful - is there any way to bring it back?

When I click on the search box from my iPad those options appear in a drop down box, as below:

2FB013CF-4390-4816-8F69-9FC01A2EF1C7.jpeg

It "feels" like it remembers what your last search criteria was, further testing is required to prove or otherwise... Let us know what comes of this.

Ah okay, 99% of the time I'm using my phone so maybe it's just the mobile site. When I click search it navigates to a new page (link below) which has some search options (e.g. search topic titles and content or just topic titles) but no way to select the search scope.

https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/search/

• 1 year later...
On 06/06/2018 at 22:19, Peter (Monty) said:

Ah okay, 99% of the time I'm using my phone so maybe it's just the mobile site. When I click search it navigates to a new page (link below) which has some search options (e.g. search topic titles and content or just topic titles) but no way to select the search scope.

https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/search/

Yes. I've noticed this and was about to post about it. You can toggle to the desktop view, but then the pages are impossible to see without panning as be zooming. 

Odd thing is, my own forum (CanalWorld.net) uses invison software and doesn't do this. Might be something in the settings or to do with which search engine you use.  Not sure. 

Daniel

11 hours ago, dhutch said:

Odd thing is, my own forum (CanalWorld.net) uses invison software and doesn't do this. Might be something in the settings or to do with which search engine you use.  Not sure. 

Daniel - might need a chat about this to compare settings. 

• Like 1

Very happy to do that, I'm slightly out of the loop having found a tech admin guy who's keen, but can browse through settings as be take screenshots as well as ask him! We're not a professionals at it and it out if the box without any bespoke code, but have over the years worked on various little tweaks and the search and default 'view new content' is a bit we've had a fair bit of work on getting nice to use. 

Obviously you can test out how the site looks anytime, it's live, viewable by anyone, free the join. 

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/

Daniel

• Thanks 1