Jump to content

Google search "page does not exist"


Steve (sdh2903)
 Share

Recommended Posts

If I search for something on Google and it brings up results from the wscc, I click the link and get the following messageScreenshot_20180606-081046_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1302ef8557cdeb1d2422423164906626.jpg

This was on a mobile using several different browsers with the same result.

Is this just how the forum works or is there an issue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just started getting something similar when using my usual bookmark for browsing unread content in forums. I discovered that something is adding an extra / in the bookmark when it gets into the address line. It happens with firefox on both my tablet and my desktop. 

https://forum.wscc.co.uk//forum/discover/unread/  is how it ends up wrong.

Who knows?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As part of the package os security changes and improvements resulting from both GDPR and previous suggestions by members, our webmaster Chris has completed (I believe) rolling out SSL level protection across the whole Boardroom now, and there’s just a little bit left to do on the other websites within the Club domain.

Hence the “s” in the https part of the address that you’re now seeing.

But that’s the only change at our end that I’m aware of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

As part of the package os security changes and improvements resulting from both GDPR and previous suggestions by members, our webmaster Chris has completed (I believe) rolling out SSL level protection across the whole Boardroom now, and there’s just a little bit left to do on the other websites within the Club domain.

Hence the “s” in the https part of the address that you’re now seeing.

But that’s the only change at our end that I’m aware of.

Correct. 

Will look into what we can do about historical links. 

But on holiday next week and up against it at work as per usual three days prior to the off!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Chris,

Apologies for jumping in here but I thought I might be able to help shortcut the problem to save you some headache potentially.

The problem seems to be that the https redirection script (probably in the .htaccess file if it's a Linux server, or web.config if it's Windows based) seems to have an extra trailing slash in it. That means when any http:// (or external https://) request comes in from a Google link/manually typed it's automatically moving it over to https:// but adding in the extra erroneous slash and causing the page loading issue.

In theory if you just take the trailing slash off in the script it should make all the old links work again. Drop me a line if you want to discuss it at all (I work in the industry too).

Thanks,
Andy

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Andy M said:

Hi Chris,

Apologies for jumping in here but I thought I might be able to help shortcut the problem to save you some headache potentially.

The problem seems to be that the https redirection script (probably in the .htaccess file if it's a Linux server, or web.config if it's Windows based) seems to have an extra trailing slash in it. That means when any http:// (or external https://) request comes in from a Google link/manually typed it's automatically moving it over to https:// but adding in the extra erroneous slash and causing the page loading issue.

In theory if you just take the trailing slash off in the script it should make all the old links work again. Drop me a line if you want to discuss it at all (I work in the industry too).

Thanks,
Andy

Good spot Andy (and Steve!) - which then led me to realise what happened.

Basically I set up a http -> https redirect in the vhost.conf file (server is on Ubuntu btw) - but the forum software required it's own config change to use https as well.

The forum software looks to have also added in a redirect as well - so by doing it twice, things got muddied!

I think it's sorted now - but please feel free to PM me with any additional info as it's always good to have another techie on hand :yes:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

It's adding an extra / after the .co.uk. take it out and the link works perfectly?

Missed this while concentrating on the https:// bit - cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems OK now when I try via a Google search - thanks to all who helped track it down.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice work Chris. Just tried a few legacy links from Google and my old bookmark (which was also failing) and it all seems to be redirecting nicely as expected now. :) 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m so glad I moved out of doing we site stuff for the odd handful of clients,  when I did, ten or so years ago. I don’t think my head has room for all the different programming environments I have to work with these days if this was all in there, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I’m so glad I moved out of doing we site stuff for the odd handful of clients,  when I did, ten or so years ago. I don’t think my head has room for all the different programming environments I have to work with these days if this was all in there, too.

There’s new stuff all the time Dave.

I look at sites I did only 6 months ago and think “I’d not do it like that now”

I’m constantly learning, but to be honest that’s something I enjoy and it helps keep my old brain active!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.