So............. whats next ?

Thrustyjust

You only live once:d

The next project after this basket case will be a GD. I love the cobras but also that t70 is stunning. And it's got a roof so practical too;)

I just need to get the cost past the Mrs, either that or pay for the divorce first.....

It's a lot of money when the same budget could be spent on an m4 or a nice boxster or Cayman. But an m4 wouldn't keep me amused in the garage and I wouldn't have built it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrustyjust said:

Number plate is on a Landie now , but not on the road. They are great cars but a bit small for my muscular frame . 

I suppose that as it's on the other side of the ditch the plate was available. Usually they belong to the original owners though, but this may have been a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

It's been bugging me what that photo reminded me of. You just nailed it! :laugh:

On the kit car front, personal non-Westfield favourites are the T70, all versions! Cobras, particularly with the optional fast back hardtop from, was it the ale Mans, or Daytona cars? I forget.

I also quite like the old Porsche replicas, boththe 356's and the 550(?) - the type Cleggy has locked away!

At the other end of the cost scale, I have always had a hankering for the Fisher Furry type cars as well. (There have been several quite similar models over the years).

otherwise, I must admit, I've always had a hankering to do a classic. But I wouldn't even contemplate it without somewhere undercover to work, which is something of a catch, for me! But I particularly like the old Triumphs, TR3/4/5/6, etc.

I must admit, I don't think I'd necessarily be brave enough to tackle a classic that didn't have the sort of (reproduction) parts availability that things like MG's, Triumphs etc have.

As much as I like the old US muscle cars, again, parts availability for many is staggering, the costs now even for restoration case seem to be extreme.

And lastly, I don't care how bad they may really be, and friends that have tried reckon they are evil to try and restore, but ever since watching The Spy Who Loved me at the pictures as a kid, I've always had a hankering for an earlyish Esprit! :down: :d

You have a lot of decent ideas Dave. Mate had a Fury and lets be honest, I couldnt fit in it, so you might find it a tougher squeeze. I had to go down the road in it with one but cheek in the carbon seat and the other itching on the handbrake :laugh: But I had to sample over 400 bhp of rotary turbo ............ but just the once as was a bit wincing getting in and out.

Perfect car for the latest Mrs TJ is a TR4a in baby blue............... She might say she loves me with one of those in the garage :oops:

Do have a facination with the Lotus plus 2 elans . The Espirit , a mate has one of the last S2 Turbos ( I think its an S2, its an X reg) and always seems worrying in a hot turbo, no intercooler and dellorto carbs sort of way. Just had the interior redone and still looks like some left over leather sporadically lobbed in there. 

MG's are too lethargic. my old man had one roadster ( rubber bumper) and its seats I think were based on your tartan blankets :d in velour orange though. Only had 20k miles on it, but I think its what made me realise power to weight was the future.

Yeah, always wonder if the Furies were more of a narrow size. :down:

11 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Yeah, always wonder if the Furies were more of a narrow size. :down:

My mate use to have a narrow westie and would fit 2 of him in each side . Hate skinny people at times.........

An idea of cockpit size and 400 plus bhp :blues:

2 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Definitely wont be one of those Pete. Something Dick Dastardly would drive . Sorry mate ! 

Outrageous :p

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

My mate use to have a narrow westie and would fit 2 of him in each side . Hate skinny people at times.........

An idea of cockpit size and 400 plus bhp :blues:

That looks seriously rapid :yes:

It is a dilemma that many of us go through. I have sat in my Garage a Lotus Elan +2 the idea to do a full conversion to either a Zetec or a Duratec engine. It appears to tick all the boxes of being similar to a Westfield with none of the downsides of ownership, wet clothes, insecure etc.

Only problem I have is with a dodgy back the pedal offset in the Lotus might be an issue if I cannot see a way past and could lead to me selling it, sadly. They do look fantastic when done properly and will be a bigger challenge than a Westfield.

The TR4 is also a beautiful car and practical as a 60's sports car can be.

Jeff, I have thought the black top zetec and fuel injection route for the Lotus +2 with a spider chassis etc. We use to have a decent reasonably priced body shop near me, who used to redo lots of TVR's , but sadly he has retired , which you can spend a fortune in paint . 

Not really sure where I want to head currently . Sometimes I think more cylinders . Sometimes I think hard top, others soft top............... grrrrrrr...........

2 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Not really sure where I want to head currently . Sometimes I think more cylinders . Sometimes I think hard top, others soft top............... grrrrrrr...........

In my (simple) mind a fun car to use at weekends should be a convertible.

19 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

In my (simple) mind a fun car to use at weekends should be a convertible.

Hmmmmm............................ Series 2 exige supercharged ....................hmmmmmmmmmmmm

3 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Could you get in one? :arse:

You said a convertible.................... you can take the roof off :p