Fire extinguisher s

Peter (Monty)

Can anyone recommend a fire extinguisher? Ideally a compact one I could keep in the car.

I just got one from Eurocarparts when they did a deal for 9 quid or so. You could go to the other end, as someone will says thats not really suitable and spend a million at Demon Tweeks....

• Like 1

I e got one from Eurocarparts, (I think, didn't think it was GSF), one of the members posted up the other year about one of their special offers. It's a decent size, bigger than those very small thin ones, without being as big as the 2.5 kg race/rally jobs. Wasn't much, around ten/fifteen quid.

My theory with it was that I do so many group runs, that while none of the extinguishers on their own would be big enough for anything but the smallest fire. With enough in the group, we might stand a chance at controlling something long enough for help to get there.

• Like 1

Yeah, this was the one I had, guess it makes sense why the offer price was a bit mor now, considering it’s normal “offer” price :laugh:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-accessories-products/emergency-and-breakdown/car-fire-extinguishers/?545773051&0&cc5_825

I do prefer one with a gauge, thought they do cheaper ones with them too. Can’t see there being too much difference between them other than the shapes of the bottles!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peter (Monty) said:

If you have it fitted at IVA, does it have to meet radii requirements?

Don’t fit it and then you don’t need to worry :d

Mine is in the bottom of the boot and I had to take it and tools out to weigh the car for IVA. Unless you carry midgets in the boot , edges dont count there :d

Not wishing to hi-Jack this thread Pete, but where do folk fit fire extinguishers?

I need to find a home for mine. Between seats with Velcro strap? Would have to be a strong fixing point as I wouldn’t want that flying around if I had to stop quickly.

Under dash? Struggling to find a home.

Want it ideally in arms reach from drivers seat. 

I drove last year to France and back with it firmly wedged in passenger foot well. Not ideal and want to do the job properly!!

Not a hi-jack at all :t-up: between the seats seems best to me but I'd only mount mine there using a locking/rachet strap.

This one comes with a bracket for mounting it, I assume you can buy similar holders on their own:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-accessories-products/emergency-and-breakdown/car-fire-extinguishers/?551770136&0&cc5_825

Doesn’t need to be a ratchet strap, I used a very broad Velcro strap on mine, which I tested first by looping round a garage joist and swinging on, if it can take my weight, a fire extinguisher in any sort of impact that isn’t immediately fatal anyway, won’t be a problem!

I used four big spreader washers behind the bulkhead.

HOWEVER. confession time, I’ve never been really happy with where it is from a practical point of view, it does get in the way getting in and out of the car, for me. Have been considering moving it to the passenger floor. I don’t carry passengers that often, so although it would be in there way, I’m less concerned! (Your welcome to try getting in/out of mine Andy, see if it’s OK where it is, for you.)

• Like 1

Picture of mine in place, part way down the post, here.

Ratchet strap was probably the wrong wording, I meant one of those hook over latches (like the classic bonnet latches).

Your test sounds pretty robust though Dave :d

I will take you up on that Dave. I bought a 2kg, so I may have made a mistake as the diameter will be greater to 1kg, it may not even fit between seats.

This one ..

Fireshield DP001/001 1KG Abc Dry Powder Extinguisher https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NPVMN6U/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_cyNdBbS8P006G

Now I do take passengers, so they won’t like an extinguisher in the way!

My last Westie didn’t have the ecu ‘flap’ so mounted there. On my current Westie, I am sort of tempted to mounting extinguisher in same spot and move the ecu relays etc to underside of scuttle, maybe on a new bracket.

Thoughts?

The advert says 35x8 cm, (further down, in the Q&A), so it might be close. Which is the problem, really.