Electric Reverse Installs

Copland

Just had a nice day out in my megablade, perfect day, almost.

Sitting drinking a nice cold beer and wondering what could make the car better. Removal of the RGB is top priority as its so clunky.

Would still like to retain reverse tho so was wondering if anyone else could post pics of how they have gone about it on the mega chassis.

Another idea I had was to get a short prop/bearing made to slot in place of the RGB to see if I can live without it.

Any input appreciated.

It will be quite a big job,as you will need to weld mounting bosses onto the chassis.

The likes of MK and MNR weld them onto the chassis at the build stage if it's a BEC. 

The other thing you would need to find out before planning the job is the tunnel wide enough to accommodate a starter motor just infront of the rear prop to diff flange? 

I fitted one on my Mac1 chassis that was built to be a zetec powered car,but I had to mount it above the prop, rather than below like MK do,as I didn't have enough room below the prop to do it.

And after all the work you will have to do to fit one they are a rubbish anyway!:no:

They will only move the car on the flat properly, any sort of incline and there's no chance. 

Another consideration is battery size,if you only run a bike battery ATM there is no way that will power the starter enough to move the car,so you would have to change over to a car battery.

Also are you sure it' the RGB that's noisy?

As all BECs clunk and bang,due to the dog engagement gearbox being mounted to a solid propshaft and diff :)

It does look tight for room hence am looking to see if anyone has any photos of how they fitted it. Have seen a few mounted to the front of the tunnel.

You also pick a good point about the battery, mine is a tiny lipo thing so would need a starter that could work with it.

I think I might have to scrap the idea and just go for a two piece prop with a Cush drive fitted as I think that will help reduce the clunks and keep my old set-up for later.

Still interested in pics tho before I shelf the idea tho.

Out of interest were you on the MLR CosKev?

Yeah I was :)

few years ago though.

Have you still got a Evo?

Wish I still had my VI sat in the garage :(

A chap that went by the username of FatBaldBloke did a good write up years ago, here:

Unfortunately, I’ll warn you now, it’s suffered from the time old problem of disappearing photos, which make it far less useful than it once was. If I recall correct.y, he ended up having to do quite a bit of re-design work on the kit he bought.

There’s another interesting thread here:

And an alternative take on the idea, here:

No photos in the last one, but Ash is still a member, so you could no doubt PM him with questions!

Seraching for electric AND reverse  Bri gs up a load more hits as well as the first one that I remembered from reading when originally published, the other two just jumped out at me. There are a few pages of results though!

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, I did do a search but all I kept seeing was rebuilds or fitting them. 

No evo now Kev sold it along time ago. Was a 6RS11 I had and recognised ure username. 

• Like 1

Maybe it’s worth considering whether a reverse gear is essential? I’ve had my Megablade for two years and have managed without...and it’s mostly used on the roads rather than track, you just have to think ahead when parking. I’ve only been caught out once when parking on an incline at Oulton Park...it wasn’t until I went to reverse out that I remembered, thankfully another person assisted with the push! 

As they are very light cars it’s easy enough to push if you need and keeps the drivetrain nice and simple with fewer parts to go wrong! Saves a little bit of weight too which is important on A BEC.

Paul.

Ab performance do a electric reverse kit or will fit for you 

I use it only on road so far hence why having it is a nice thing to have, I do use it a good bit. 

I also push it but wouldn’t fancy pushing it up a slight ramp. 

CosKev, you say how bad they are but do you still have it fitted?

9 hours ago, Copland said:

I use it only on road so far hence why having it is a nice thing to have, I do use it a good bit. 

I also push it but wouldn’t fancy pushing it up a slight ramp. 

CosKev, you say how bad they are but do you still have it fitted?

Oh yeah it's still fitted,just rarely use it.

The only saving to be had by removing it would be the loss of a bit of weight,but otherwise it's just sat there doing nothing.

Not like a RGB which is being used all the time and requires maintenance :)