Nylon bolts for rear aarches

scott beeland

Part of my winter mods ;)  is to fix new rear arches with nylon bolts (good old Thoresby!!;)

But..... Any views on how secure they're gonna stay for the 5k miles I will cover on the road aswell as sprinting.as opposed to the bolts/ washers that are there now??

Hi Scott.

I've done over 5k on road with mine in the last year with no problems. Get decent quality bolts, and use washers anyway.  They won't tighten up as tight as metal ones obviously, but there is enough of them.

OR... a friend of mine used some high grip velcro on his (carbon) wings. Apparently works very well as there is quite alot of contact surface area really. (that was on a Cateringvan though).

Reckon you'll be ok, I can pretty much sit on mine and they hardly creak let alone snap off... in fact, I'm not sure they'd actually detach!  Probably would with an impact.

moomin

I did this last year Scot and all is still well. I must admit I checked them every time I want out for the first couple of months. :D

They are used for fitting number plates. Good motor factor should be able to help ;)

More likely to work than metal ones though eh...

I've got metal washers on mine too, so I reckon the plastic bolt will be the weakest link... maybe.  If not, nothing lost.

moomin

scott i have some spout bolts if you want em  ???  :arse:  :oops:  :durr:

Has anyone tried it?

Yep, several SS drivers have unintentionally tested nylon bolts  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  and they appear to dooooo  much less damage than the meckal ones  ;)  ;)  :D  :p

Have had these on mine for the last year-I use 5 per side with no problems on the road. On the track I've probably lost about 7/8 wings with no damage and they generally break. It's one of those cateringvan thingies but principal is the same

MikeW

its like a sprout bolt but its not  :(  :arse:

Why not keep the steel bolts but put penny washers on the tub and much smaller washers on the arches?

Cos that will wreck your tub and arch  ;)  :(  :(  :(  I've seen both aftermaths of plastic and meckal and believe me both are not pleasant but using plastic does not create as much damage as meckal  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)