Breakfast On the Beach 27th May Version 2

Thrustyjust

This was lost in the system reboot , so this is version 2. Anything I wrote in that and havent in this is mainly because I am brain dead, but I have remembered most of it.

After discussions with Martin 123 about heading from Newbury  to Hayling Island for Breakfast On The Beach . Plan is to leave Newbury and head to Basingstoke, Alton and New Forest way to end up at the Surf Shack for a big ( not in Gary T's size) breakfast.

Start at Tescos in Newbury for tank filling at 8am and hope to avoid the bank holiday drivers. Hope to be there for 10am, breakfast, walk on the beach and indigestion, in that order and then head home.

Info for place is here 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Surf-Shack-Café-Hayling-Island/298415083833503

Can pick up people en route . Weather depending of course .

Anyone want to tag along ?

• Like 1

Enjoy, will still be in sunny? Scotland. Best of luck with Bank holiday grockles!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AdgeC said:

Enjoy, will still be in sunny? Scotland. Best of luck with Bank holiday grockles!

Thanks Adge, enjoy your neeps and tatties..........:d

I might tag along. Is it the Tesco opposite the BP garage on the A4?

On 21/05/2018 at 17:34, Steven (Steve T) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

I might tag along. Is it the Tesco opposite the BP garage on the A4?

No, its the superstore on Pinchington Lane. Suitable for you as it has plenty of super unleaded :d

Unfortunately I can't make it now. Hope the weather holds out for you. 

4 minutes ago, Steven (Steve T) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

Unfortunately I can't make it now. Hope the weather holds out for you. 

Its a bit pivotal on the weather with thunder storms tonight, so maybe a last minute decision, but cheers for letting me know :yes:

Well, we abandoned yesterday due to 'so called' thunderstorms and even though Martin 123 had one only 4 miles away from me, we never saw it at all. So, plan was changed to today. Martin chickened, so it was one car and 2 guys. Must admit the weather at home was drizzling mist and almost foggy near Basingstoke , which was a bit worrying about what else we would face .Tried my new sat nav out , which you put a start and finish point and it made a 'fun' route for us to follow. Within 2 miles, it was sending us down some really narrow dirt tracks ( which although being locals, had no idea they existed) So, back to the A roads, ignoring the satnav for a while and then weirdly onto the A3 ( still on fun route !!) , so headed into Petersfield and thats when we gave up on the satnav and got hugely lost :d. Back to the map and we eventually found our way to Havant and onto Hayling Island for breakfast. 

20180528_100216.thumb.jpg.344bad55fd4e58677566b449db52b27b.jpg

It was absolutely baking hot down at the cafe, so shared a parasol with a couple who live about 10 minutes from me ...........spooky how that always happens . And they have a patterdale dog like me. :o

So, the return leg was a map I made with marker points and uploaded onto the Tom Tom. Lets just say I didnt put dirt tracks and such narrow country lanes that if anything was coming towards us intentionally, we would have been stuffed. So, my learning on sat navs ( technology isnt a strong point with me) needs a hell of a lot more practice !! 

As we got towards home, the mist was back and sun disappeared , but that made no odds ( even put the heater on!!) , the run out in the car was great , with even my mate talking to me about how much it costs to buy a decent second hand Westie ! 

Look what you locals missed out on ;)

p.s and for you lot on carbs , did 150 miles on a half tank :laugh:

• Like 1

If you’re using MyDrive, and I’m just a beginner on it too, then as long as you plan the route from a web browser, (it might be possible on the app, too, but I’ve not found it yet), then you can alter the degree of twistiness on the routes.

It used to be called winding roads or similar on the old TomTom devices. On MyDrive it’s “Thrill” and often seems to be on by default.

if you look at the bottom of the planner pop up, you’ll see the three levels of setting for hilliness and windiness.

B5A858F3-4667-4D80-A7A8-D8F3A2FE1E0E.jpeg

Alternative.y, you can just select Fastest.

Ive not tried the Thrill option yet, but I know when I tired the Windy Roads function they used to have, set on maximum, it once turned a forty minute first leg of a trip into a two and a half hour exploration of every twisty side road in the area! Some of which would have been better on a bike, for sure. But many were good and I’ve occasionally used since.

I wouldn’t use the full twisty option again though if I actually wanted to get somewhere :laugh:

23 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

p.s and for you lot on carbs , did 150 miles on a half tank :laugh:

Jeez... I would've had to have stopped 3 times for fuel! :o

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

If you’re using MyDrive, and I’m just a beginner on it too, then as long as you plan the route from a web browser, (it might be possible on the app, too, but I’ve not found it yet), then you can alter the degree of twistiness on the routes.

It used to be called winding roads or similar on the old TomTom devices. On MyDrive it’s “Thrill” and often seems to be on by default.

if you look at the bottom of the planner pop up, you’ll see the three levels of setting for hilliness and windiness.

B5A858F3-4667-4D80-A7A8-D8F3A2FE1E0E.jpeg

Alternative.y, you can just select Fastest.

Ive not tried the Thrill option yet, but I know when I tired the Windy Roads function they used to have, set on maximum, it once turned a forty minute first leg of a trip into a two and a half hour exploration of every twisty side road in the area! Some of which would have been better on a bike, for sure. But many were good and I’ve occasionally used since.

I wouldn’t use the full twisty option again though if I actually wanted to get somewhere :laugh:

Yurp, was something like that Dave :laugh: Honestly, we were dragging the grass on the banks on both sides on the mirrors and the gearbox hoop was flattening the mud in the middle of the road too. Was a bit sketchy at times . Then when we got out the other side , there was a huge tractor with a lump of machinery on the back. :oops:

Must spend a bit more time getting it 'sensible' for runs out in the future. I thought the only thing that it was going to work was a motor crosser with slick tyres !! 

• Haha 1

Glad you had a good day out. As for sat nags, I just hand it to the grandchildren!!

1 minute ago, AdgeC said:

Glad you had a good day out. As for sat nags, I just hand it to the grandchildren!!

I got a bigger screen Adge as my eyes are rubbish already, but now it blot most of the Westie windscreen out !! I rely now on the bend on the satnav being close to what it actually is :laugh:

12 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

I got a bigger screen Adge as my eyes are rubbish already, but now it blot most of the Westie windscreen out !! I rely now on the bend on the satnav being close to what it actually is :laugh:

Made a little bracket that sits over the dash crash pad to stick my sat nag on, seems to work so far! Felt it would cover to much of the screen otherwise.

image.thumb.jpeg.04bdf6c34229cca1f6039bafcf4b0495.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1b955780b564c07a783d7e24efbeeab1.jpeg

Not pretty, but functional!

As you say, useful to see what's coming up on the road ahead.

• Like 2

That’s really clever I need to do something similar with my new one, love the clear bracket, looks so much better on the dash.