Wide bodied passenger footrest .

Weekend Warrior

As it says really ,what footrests do those with wide bodied cars use .Do they go as far back as you can get them ,what width {about 30 cm wide on my measure ].

Mines not a race car and has carpets can you fit them on top of carpets ? 

‘Thoughts and advice please .

Steve

My dads old westfield had exactly what your asking.

He used one like This He positioned his as far back of the tunnel as it would go and just put it on top of the carpets. 

Although i cant remember off the top of my head what he used to fix it. I think it was just some self tappers

• Thanks 1

I bought a pair of footrests some time ago, one for the passenger which bolts to the floor in your foot area and a drivers footrest which screws to the side of the tunnel near the clutch pedal. They are difficult to fit as you have to reach down the tunnel  and use a drill one handed. Managed to fit the drivers footrest with three self tappers to the side of the transmission tunnel, I thought it was going to be too close to the clutch pedal but it works well and you can transfer your foot from the rest to the pedal quite easily and it gives your foot somewhere to go when not on the clutch pedal.

I didnt bother with the passenger footrest as I would have to drill through the carpet to fix and you still have the drilling problem to fix with bolts or self tappers or cut the carpet which I didnt want to do.  I dont carry passengers so I didnt bother in the end, think I still have it .

I know it’s probably stating the obvious, but do check the underside of the car before drilling!

I do remember many, many years ago someone posting up their slight faux pas when fitting a footrest, they managed to drill through the floor and straight through a fuel line!

My missus wanted a footrest, but as she's only 5'1" I didn't want to screw down a permanent one to suit her as that would prevent taller people fitting in. So I got really dense chip-foam, shaped it to suit the floorpan and contoured it to clear the bungee net on the left hand side, covered it in Veltrim auto trimming carpet, and added a rubber foot pad. In fact, I made two removable footrests for her - one for flat shoes and one for heels! (I like to keep my bread buttered).

It also protects the ECU which is bolted to the firewall down at the end of the footwell. Tip for schoolboys - electric breadknives cut foam superbly.

DSCF6345.JPG

DSCF6344.JPG

• Like 6

Nice solution.

On 10/03/2018 at 20:50, chriss1455 said:

My dads old westfield had exactly what your asking.

He used one like This He positioned his as far back of the tunnel as it would go and just put it on top of the carpets. 

Although i cant remember off the top of my head what he used to fix it. I think it was just some self tappers

Thanks For the link , I ordered one and it came yesterday.I put it to the back of the tunnel perfect width any wider and it wouldn’t have gone back far enough. (Mines a wide bodied )

The only thing I wasn’t happy with was the finish , as I have no chrome on the car it just didn’t look right .I had wanted a black one but couldn’t find one the right width and didn’t fancy cutting it.

Anyway I had some carbon vinyl so decided to have a go at wrapping in, turned out not too bad 

The width was 280mm 

01765A25-9D4C-4A4E-8752-86D16AD3EA60.jpeg

6DA7CFD6-1858-4B26-9F01-0E4C8BCFD982.jpeg

37C51127-24F0-4AA9-B8C1-FC1F69F151E5.jpeg

• Like 1

My late mother was 5' 2" and always had problems bracing herself as a passenger.  My father was a careful Scotsman (living up to his regional stereotype) so rolled up an old dog bed cushion and bound it together with duct tape.  It sorted mum out for over 20 years!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I wanted a larger angle on mine to give people something to push against and also wanted to completely hide the LHD pedal brackets, which I didn't cut off earlier in the build. Made a cardboard template to fit, then cut out of aluminium sheet (1.5mm I think?), and attached with some hinges at the top and bottom edges.

Jcz39MB.jpg

If that had hinges just at the bottom and cut to clear that frame brace, it could be up for shorter passengers, and down for longer people!

Here's one I made for my narrow body, just a piece of 2mm aluminium drilled, folded and welded. 

20180325_143313.jpg

20180325_143329.jpg

• 2 years later...

interesting.  looking to fabricate a passenger footrest myself. Like @BigSkyBrad said, I would like it to be able to go up or down.  I also intend to make it lockable to create storage space fwd of the footrest.

On 25/03/2018 at 14:37, Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

Here's one I made for my narrow body, just a piece of 2mm aluminium drilled, folded and welded. 

20180325_143313.jpg

20180325_143329.jpg

You could get away with making that a battery holder too by the looks of it. Would be a great place for it, nice and low too.

Mk2 version, with larger hole for the umbrella. 

20210221_125346.jpg

20210221_125356.jpg

• Like 2

I love that, I don't carry passengers very often, but I could made use of a brolley holder - I did have stuffed behind the seat, then when it rained I could not reach it as it had slipped down too far.

Another project for me there I think.

Richard.