FW400 article in March CKC

CraigHew

I didn't realise how vulnerable the Hewland gearbox was.  Nice looking and very capable car tho.

19 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

feather weight 400 bhp/ ton...................... its not Craig then :d

Fw400 means feather weight 400kg 

There was only one car that was ever close to the 400kg and that had some very nice carbon parts fitted also full carbon bodywork when it left the factory  

The white one is in the same place that's working on my car. I have visited it a few times while visiting mine.

IMG_20170924_113948.jpg

IMG_20170924_113935.jpg

53 minutes ago, Rednop1 said:

Fw400 means feather weight 400kg 

There was only one car that was ever close to the 400kg and that had some very nice carbon parts fitted also full carbon bodywork when it left the factory  

I can imagine it being quite sketchy to drive with that weight and power.

Carbon chassis is nice. They should sell those aftermarket. 

As mentioned above in this thread, the car has been for sale now for a long long time.

I'm guessing the dealership / owner persuaded CKC to do the feature to help the sale, but although it looks great, has extreme rarity and isn't silly money, the point about the gearbox doesn't really help.

The kit car community, especially the Westfield contingent, will be aware of its availability but still it sits in a showroom.

Can't help thinking the vendors would be better off inviting offers....?

Interesting as a weight exercise to see where you could get a Westie down too. Just over 100kg lighter than mine whist running a engine and gearbox combo which are identical weight. Thats some good going!  

There are bike engined cars in the speed series weighing sub 400kg (380kg springs to mind). Can be done, but takes some dedication and a whole lot of drilling!

19 minutes ago, BCF said:

There are bike engined cars in the speed series weighing sub 400kg (380kg springs to mind). Can be done, but takes some dedication and a whole lot of drilling!

problem is Barney most of them then have over 100kg in the drivers seat  :p:getmecoat:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BCF said:

Its easy with a bike engine when the motor and box combined are sub 80kg. A R1 engine/box is 62kg!

My dry sumped all alloy K series with a full alloy quaife type 9 is 153kg!