Peak District Scenic Stunner Sun 11th March

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Meet at The Wheatsheaf, Baslow, DE45 1SR, 10.30am and, after the success of the last scenic drive, I am going to do another one. This is a road that has been closed for over a year due to a landslide, as it has finally been repaired, we need to have a little look at it. 

I have chosen Sunday because the weather is supposed to be better that day, I tried to avoid Mothers Day because you may have alternative arrangements, but just in case you can join us, then please do.

Cough, double figure temperatures forecast, suits you sir!

Would love to but..... You think I can avoid Mothering Sunday? Not a hope. Not even worth while asking. :(

• Sad 1

I should be ok for this. Been a while since breakfast at Barlow!

• Like 1

Sorry but I would be in HUGE trouble if I missed the one day a year my wife doesn't have to lift a finger ;)

• Sad 1

We might come but we are on grandparent duties until the early hours tomorrow so we may not be up! Keep an eye on your phone Julie, we will let you know if we are on the way.

• Like 1

The route has been set and, oh my, it is a gorgeous route, not fast, nor exciting, but on quiet roads with good views. From The Wheatsheaf we go up, round and down, along the new stretch of road, for 1 hour until we get to The Millstone Country Inn, Hathersage. Then it is carvery time, mmm roast beef for me, my favourite, moo. 

From there, we will go all the way to the other end of the cow, to sample some ice-cream at Blaze Farm, Macclesfield, which is about 1 hour's drive away. The most difficult part of the day is deciding which flavour ice cream to have, it's a hard life.

The weather is forecast warm and dry, this is not a day to be missed. My phone will be on, Martyn, we will be leaving the Wheatsheaf at about 11am, if that helps.

Have fun, looks like you have great weather for this today.

• Like 1

Not fast or exciting, did I say that? well I didn't factor in that a Honda Boy was following did I? oh, oh, the noise behind was just amazing. Let's set up a charity fund, let's raise £22000 so I can buy Stuarts car. That car must, absolutely must, be bought by someone who lives in the Derbyshire area, just imagine that, if it joined our convoy. The thing is, on the first part of today's run there were a lot of horses, so we slowed and even stopped to let them pass, then, when we were out of ear shot, we were off accelerating again. Brrrmm.

We met Dave at The Wheatsheaf

DSC03385.JPG

We have all read Dave's build thread so it was good to see his upgrades in the flesh, so to speak. Of course the first thing you have to do is pretend to drive it.

DSC03383.JPG

Hands stay on the wheel and you can operate the lights, indicators and wipers/wash. The horn too.

DSC03380.JPG

The wireless transmitter on the back of the wheel, looking very tidy.

DSC03381.JPG

Not quite finished, just making sure everything is ok before the buttons get covered.

DSC03382.JPG

We set off on the new road, the one that the local pony club decided was nice and quiet and a good one to use too. Having enjoyed all the noise earlier, it was quite a contrast, trying to creep along silently.

DSC03389.JPG

DSC03392.JPG

There was the usual poo, pony poo this week and we found some snow too.

DSC03394.JPG

DSC03397.JPG

We pulled into the Millstone Country Inn car park and there was a Kinder suprise, Ian was waiting for us. He had snook out to have a quick cuppa with us, before heading off for family duties. Not before presenting me with some flowers for Mother's Day, which totally confused me because I am not a mother, until he pointed to my keys, see I do have a baby, a Westfield, it's often covered in poo as well, just like a real baby.

DSC03400.JPG

DSC03401.JPG

After a quick catch up with Ian and a delicious 3 meat carvery we did the second leg of our journey. Up our favourite Winnats Pass, over the tops of Buxton and to Blaze Farm. I had Rocky Road ice cream, Glen had bubblegum flavoured and Dave had one with chocolatey ball things on. 

Winnats Pass

DSC03405.JPG

DSC03406.JPG

It has been a very varied and eventful day. The driving has gone from slow and taking in stunning views, to making the best of fast opportunities, we did tyre kicking, flowers, dinners, ice cream, not a dull moment. A great big thank you to Dave and Ian for joining us on a tricky day.

DSC03386.JPG

• Like 6