MSA licence

Kingster

So which licence do I need?

What class am I in?

Sprint virgin, road going n/a 2.0 Zetec, r1r’s

Ta :d

MSA licence is Speed National B.

The MSA 2018 yearbook will help (https://www.msauk.org/assets/bb2018completelow-res.pdf). I think you can apply online by registering for an account first.  In the old days online was only available for renewals but I think new applications can now be done online.

WSCC Class - will depend on gearbox and tyres.  Generally if List A or B tyres (See MSA yearbook page 196) and synchromesh gearbox then WSCC Class B. If List 1 A, B or C tyres and dog box then WSCC Class D, anything else road legal may put you in WSCC Class F.

There may be a few minor upgrades to your car to ensure it is compliant and passes scurtineering. Ask here and advice will be given or PM me with a telephone number and I can help.

Cheers Paul. 

Gearbox is H pattern. 

Car has a full cage, so can use that to “tow”. Will add a cut off switch and beam breaker. 

There is generally not much to do to a well  built Westfield - there will be more but here are some of the things scrutineers look for...

• 1 litre oil catch tank.
  • Yellow tape on the battery earth lead.
  • Battery firmly secured and terminals well covered/insulated.
  • 2 return springs on throttle linkage.
  • Catalytic converter if your car was built/registered after 31/12/1999.
  • Seats and seat belts firmly secured.
  • Head restraint in seats or foam covered head restraint attached to roll cage.
  • Some thread showing on wheel nuts.
  • No play in the steering.
  • No play in the wheel bearings.
  • Nothing about to fall off :d

If you can do it then get an experienced Speed Series competitor to look over your car or better still pop along to an event and find a scrutineer (once they have finished scrutineering) and ask him to look over you car - they are actually a really friendly and helpful people (if approached correctly).

Don't get too hung up of worried over scrutineering. They are checking for safety in the main, so if you've overlooked something it can usually be sorted easily. 

2 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Does a Q built in 2014 need a cat???

Afraid so ;)

8 minutes ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

Afraid so ;)

Ah right then, looks like track days it is then. It’s all totting up and adding a cat into the mix will just be too much hassle and cost :(

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Ah right then, looks like track days it is then. It’s all totting up and adding a cat into the mix will just be too much hassle and cost :(

Sorry to hear that, but sadly any post 1999 (from memory) cars need them. Bit daft but that argument has been and gone unfortunately.

I’ll see if there’s a way to get a cat of sorts into the can, you never know...

There are ways to do it simply and cheaply

Yep now just got to overcome the obstacles the MSA put in the way of actually applying for a licence!

Their web application form is a travesty of web coding. 

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Yep now just got to overcome the obstacles the MSA put in the way of actually applying for a licence!

Their web application form is a travesty of web coding. 

Frankly Chris the MSA website is a disgrace for such a large organisation.

I gave up attempting to use it, years ago.

Just fill the manual form in and send it snail mail. In future years its much more straight forward to renew. In their defence they usually turn round licence applications pretty quickly.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.