The definitive guide to Oulton Park

TAFKARM

Let´s see if I can explain this without making it sound bad... (as I´m no-one)

carefully with that. In my opinion this tutorial should come with some sort of disclaimer...

The tutorial is Excellent, really, dont get me wrong as is probably one of the best and more usefull videos I ever seen in youtube, BUT is really really extremme and for (in my opinion) very talented drivers. 

I dont feel confortable at all with some of the lines he explain -the fast ones- at least not with my car and with me at the controls... as I have the feeling that if you try to do the cascades, island bend or the shell oil hairpin that early (even with the explanation of the camber in the middle of the track and so...) with a westfield with zero aero, you may be in trouble and you will be too early to make the corner, and probably too late to save the car.. and the twin apex in druids is super super dangerous (but they say is where you atually win races) and you will likely end against the barrier-as he also explains- and is only worth the risk if you are competing. There is slighly slower but much safer ways to do druids unless you are actually fighting for the british F3 championship.

And I say that because Oulton park is really dangerous and fairly unnatural, and i think is the only ever track of the ones I´ve been that I feel wrong and unsafe when I´m actually in the fast line.

However, the purely technical bits as for the chicanes, the uphill section (more scary because is blind than actually dangerous) and the late entry corners (first and last)  are excelently explained.

"EDIT"

@AdamR, your turn to disagree and call me girly. :p

• Like 1

Yes agreed. Great video but definitely one for racers to trim 10ths of a second not for your first visit I think.

If you listen to the narrative he does stress GT cars are different and how unforgiving oulton is, so do listen to this bit !

It's great to watch for the layout and lines but for experts only and even then, those with aero single seaters. I've never thought of island bend as flat out ! I must be miss daisy.......

• Haha 1

Tbh, I thought it was spot on.. He's not telling you to go flat round Island, Cascades etc, he's just suggesting some cars can?

My thoughts on Druids.. someone in the distant past, I forget who, suggested missing the first apex by a couple of feet, makes it easier to get to the second one. You really don't want to be wide there as you could end up on the grass at the exit. Not sure if that's what Maurici is referring to, as a safer line? (Using both apex's is possibly an aero line?)

The fastest my car has been round Oulton is a 1-53.6, which I think is a fairly respectable time for the car's spec. 170bhp Pinto... somewhere near 600kg? The lines look similar to those explained in the tutoral

1-53 lap starts about 6 mins in:

• Like 1

Good link Russ... I have not driven OP but did watch his Snetterton one and enjoyed it... Now roll on spring time!

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 17:49, RussH said:

a nice sunny day in 2018!

MSV have a nice *sunny Oulton day in April, Tuesday 10th. The 750mc are racing the following weekend, but as far as I know they'll have a test day on the Friday, so hopefully not too many race teams. Personally I've got nothing against them as long as they behave.  The best days I've ever done have been mid week MSV days, and they're usually pretty quiet, (under subscribed) Anyone fancy it?

There's also a Cadwell day, Monday 9th April, MSV, no race meeting the following weekend etc etc..  

*that may be a lie.. :)

I know April is still a way off, but if we can agree on a day / circuit early on, it gives plenty of time for people to make arrangements.

Of course, I'll be up for a day (or two)  before April, but it's all a bit weather dependant.. I can commit early to any day after March gets out of the way, and hopefully takes winter with it! 

We just need a date. :t-up:

I'll do either of those if people up for it. Would rather do cadwell tbh so early in the season as I've never done Oulton so would rather do it in the dry...!

58 minutes ago, RussH said:

I'll do either of those if people up for it. Would rather do cadwell tbh so early in the season as I've never done Oulton so would rather do it in the dry...!

Either for me too. I think we survived the worst Cadwell weather-wise last year, couldn't possibly be any worse could it? :laugh: Having done Cadwell the past two Aprils, both were dry, if a little on the cool side. :sun:

Anyone got any specific preference?

Cadwell Monday 9th April or Oulton Tuesday 10th?