Brake Judder

Scotty72

I would pull the pads out and have a look at the surface as well. It would not hurt to give them a quick rub with sandpaper on a very flat surface, piece of glass is ideal, it will take any high spots off, which might get deposited back on your shiny disc. 

Also use a good quality brake cleaner all over before disassembly as brake dust is still not nice to your breathing equipment.

From you photo it looks like your brakes are HiSpec 114's (the WSC race brake upgrades).

I have the same calipers also with vented grooved disks. I run Ferodo DS3000 / DS 2500 pads in mine (currently on the 2500's but the 3000's will be going back in soon)

Just for comparison, one of my disks is warped ever so slightly, I think it's always been like that since I bought the car from the factory but I just put up with it.  However, I've recently bought a replacement pair of discs direct from HiSpec and will fit them over the winter.  I did consider getting the discs skimmed (there's a guy near me will do them in situ with a computerised machine) but he was wettin himself about putting my Westfield up on his 2 post ramp so I lost patience with him and decided to go for replacements and sort the problem myself.

As @IanK (Bagpuss)mentioned, a dial gauge will tell you if your discs are bad.

I'd certainly try the cheaper / easier fixes as discussed first but if all else fails the discs can be swapped out easily enough.

Have a look here for skimmers near you.

https://skimmydiscs.co.uk/

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

So, I tried rubbing the disks down myself to try and get rid of any pad deposts which seemed to ease the pulsing on the pedal but it still got on my nerves. On closer inspection last week, I removed the wheels and spun the disk slowly and could hear the pads make a clicking sound as they were moving in the caliper as the section of disc that was running out went past. Also looking at the pads, I could visibly see them moving back and forth with each rotation.

Booked the car into a local garage which has a pro-cut on car brake lathe and it's all sorted. I was amazed at how uneven the discs were!

All in all it took around an hour an half to perform the skimming and as it's done on the car it also eliminates any run out in the hub.

Took a video which clearly shows where the run out was.

• Like 1

Hi Scott, glad you’re sorted. Did they check the hubs for run out?

I had a similar (turned out to be hub runout) problem. Spoke to a place near Chester who do the computerised in situ cutting but the guy hadn't worked on one of our cars before, was stressing about using his 2 post lift etc. Just didn't fill me with enough confidence to go for it.

New hubs sorted my problem.

1 hour ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

Hi Scott, glad you’re sorted. Did they check the hubs for run out?

Yeah hubs were fine. I didn't have any problems until my first trackday.

• Like 2

Just check your front wheel bearings for adjustment. I had one come slightly loose in a competition which manifested itself by a bit of brake judder.

Reset the wheel bearing preload and all good.