iplayer message on Samsung smart TV

Terry Everall

The ones I've seen have all been wifi.

so what if the wifi signal is not great?

Then you either improve the Wi Fi signal, if it's not good enough or use a box with an Ethernet port - the Amazon Fire TV box has one, as does the Apple TV box. You'll pay a wee bit more, but probably less than swaping Wi Fi bases etc.

To watch iPlayer you now need a BBC account...

If your mobile phones are Android then get a Chromecast. If you're mobile phones are Apple, get a Chromecast! Yes really. The Google Home app works brilliantly on the Apple platform. I recently set up a multi-room audio system using audio only Chromecasts for a dyed-in-the wool Apple/Spotify user. It's really very good indeed.

phones are iPhones and I have a Mac. Do I need to download Google chrome on both devices as I normally use Safari

If you want to use a MAC and view it on the telly get an Apple TV and use Home Sharing or get a cable and connect the MAC to the TV directly using HDMI and whatever connector the MAC uses for video out. 

Google Chrome is a browser like Safari. The Google Home app is not a browser, it is for streaming content from a phone to a TV and/or audio system

If you do get an Apple TV connect it to the internet router with a CAT5 or CAT6 patch cable. 

And I'm sure I mentioned it but for the sake of my sanity, do you have a Sky subscription? If so iPlayer is part of the Sky Catch Up feature so you wouldn't need to do anything at all. Just choose it on the Sky box. Press the TV Guide Button and choose Catch Up TV. The Sky box needs an internet connection of course...

I do not have Sky but maybe I should think about that as an option if it provides catch-up up TV for the main channels like iplayer etc as well as Netflix

Terry

Amazon firesticks are really easy to use and set-up they are a simple solution to the world of apps + once installed you will then be able to install the Kodi app which opens up a whole new world ............ I won't post details here, but do a simple google search for Doc squiffy :yes: ;) gotta say its saved me a fortune

I have bought the Amazon Firestick so will see how that goes. I will have a look at KODI app etc ( Doc Squiffy?)