Forum Updated

Kingster

Just updated to the latest Forum software - just in case you were wondering why members without a profile pic now have a "letter" image instead of a grey face :)

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Just updated to the latest Forum software - just in case you were wondering why members without a profile pic now have a "letter" image instead of a grey face :)

Prompted me to put a picture in rather than seeing "Y" looked like a pair of pants.

Please note, THIS IS A MAJOR VERSION UPDATE!

There will be lots of new features, we know about some, and how to use them already, others we'll still be getting to grips with for a while!

Some things will also have a different look and feel! Please be patient during the change over!

However, as a starter for ten:

New event feature - one that AO's have been longing for for ages!

Its now possible to duplicate events on to different dates/times, (previously You could only add events consecutively or on the same physical date each month).

To duplicate an Area Meet for instance, open up a example of the Meet you want to copy,

Then, use the "add similar event" button, circled below:

IMG_0690.JPG

A new form will pop up, with all the same event details in, but asking you for a new date and time, fill these in, save and away you go. Of course occasionally, one Meet might need slightly different information, so it's also possible to edit the details at the same time as adding the fresh date/time, though just be careful you don't accidentally copy this event for the following meets!

Let's start a sepperate "issues/bugs" thread, just to keep everything in one place.

I'll start it now...

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman pinned this topic

It might make sense for this thread to perhaps be kept for "new features" and how to use them, or questions about the new version. Do bear in mind though that we're all learning what's new etc. so there may not always be immediate answers at first ;)

We'll keep the thread pinned for a while.

Incidentally, on the new "like" format, you have the options of:

Thanks (the little cup symbol)

Haha (laughing smilie)

Confused (wonky eyed smilie!)

Sad (smilie with a wobbly lip!)

The different option still work with the "like" system, but work a little differently. Either selecting Thanks or HaHa options on someone's post, will increase that members "liked post" count. However, Confused or Sad smilies will not add to it.

As the Boardroom is a nice place, (plus we know how people like to wind each other up :o we have no "dislike" count or buttons), so no options, even Sad smilie will actually decrease someone's "liked post" count!

Mind you, until indexing has stopped, we can't test the new system fully either, so apologies if some posts seem to have no like buttons, yet other people do. It will get sorted.

2017-08-05.thumb.png.05f026d3d18185bdd99422cd92b71f87.png

I don't appear to have the facility to "like" or the other emoticons, or am I being a dummkopf?

As mentioned earlier, the like button, which now links to a few options, social media style, is not currently showing up on every post.

Until the background indexing processes are complete though, we won't know what's being caused by incompletely (i.e. Not yet indexed records), or what's an actual bug.

Bear with it!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Also, please list any bugs you find, or things that you suspect might be bugs in the bug reporting thread, also pinned at the top of this section of the forum!

it was in yours, sorry i didn't read/understand fully the implications/timings I'm a dummkopf!

Just now, Yanto said:

it was in yours, sorry i didn't read/understand fully the implications/timings

No worries!

Just as an aside, we've hung on before going to version 2 until the first bug fix updates had been issued, we've also had a look at a few other forums that had already changed over, and made sure they weren't reporting any massive issues. Though as always with these things, the odd bit of teething trouble is almost inevitable!

For what it's worth, indexing is currently at 17.37% having been running since what ever time earlier this morning Chris ran the update; so realistically, I'd doubt it will finish till tomorrow afternoon/evening at the earliest, unless it speeds up dramatically over night.

This will make searches somewhat incomplete, though as more records are indexed, results will get steadily more complete. As said, it may also have one or two other unexpected effects!

• Like 1

Another new function I've found and been having an experiment with; venues, this is perhaps of more use to AO's and the Speed Series orgainising team, but it allows you, when adding a calendar event to specify the venue it will be held at. 

This information can be entered as you go, if it's a brand new venue, but once defined, is just selected from a pull down list.

The benefits? Well it's possible to look at a venue, and see, month by month, what events have been scheduled there. Perfect for looking up, say, scheduled track days at Blyton?

Please, though, lets not see it over run with everyone putting in favorite pubs etc. it's intended for repeat venues, like local meets, Speed Series tracks, trackday tracks etc.

As per another thread - I have just applied a security patch that included a fix for a possible XSS vulnerability (cross-site script attack) - which might account for the Google Redirect issue some of us have reported.

But it could still be to do with an adSense mobile hijack as previously mentioned.

So - now we have the very latest security patches to both the web server and the forum software, I suggest that anyone affected by this clears their browser cache and history on their mobile device(s).

Mr Google will help you with that if you are not sure what I am talking about.

• Kingster unpinned this topic