SGS Engineering

Andrew O Byrne White - Ireland AO

33 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Your final sentence sums up my fears too.

I've been looking for one of these for a while now:

https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-418758/clarke-sbr305--305mm-3-in-1-universal-sheet-metal-machine.html

So far i've found 4 different "manufacturers" of the identical tool and the prices differences are as much as double.

1 hour ago, Lyonspride said:

Sadly nobody really makes this stuff anymore, it's all from China and buying top brands just means paying over the odds for the same stuff.

Slight drift from tools manufacture but my late grandad worked in a jam factory and when asked what the difference was between the ordinary jam and the premium stuff he said it was just the label.

1 hour ago, DonPeffers said:

Slight drift from tools manufacture but my late grandad worked in a jam factory and when asked what the difference was between the ordinary jam and the premium stuff he said it was just the label.

I was enjoying a pint of Guinness in a pub in Killarney a few years ago, and a local fella and I were discussing the relative merits of Dublin made Guinness and the old Park Royal made stuff. Although the London site closed years ago he told me that the different flavour people spoke of when it was in production was in the head of the drinker not the head on the beer. He was right, it did taste good in that pub in County Kerry! 

I understand all of the rebranding, however it's not an excuse for poor customer service.  This tool trolley cost me over £100.  Not a lot of money to some and probably quite a small order to SGS, but it's a decent chunk of money to me.  At the very least I expect a call back when I've been promised one to tell me what's happening, even if it's a matter of "the guy who's responsible for your case is off today, so we'll have to dig into it tomorrow".  Just leaving a customer hanging is absolutely unacceptable in my eyes!

This came up time and time again at work ( I'm now retired) and I used to say to anyone who ended up taking a complaint was to "own the problem". Give them your phone number and email address and say you'd ring back in 20 mins, tomorrow or whatever.