Vettel bumping car behaviour

Terry Everall

19 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

At least if nothing else it's made the rest of the season's Lewis vs Seb a bit more lively.

When you look back at some of the stuff with senna v prost. Mansell grabbing senna by the throat. Schumacher chasing coulthard etc makes vettels hissy look silly really. Still unacceptable but not as bad as the actions of the legends of the sport. James hunt even decked a steward at one point if I remember rightly:d

Of course in a different era, before sponsors became extremely careful with their image, all sorts went on. IIRC Senna punched Eddie Irvine after the 1993 Japanese GP and if SV had been man enough to confront LH after the race then let them sort it out. The reality is SV crashed into the back of LH because of Seb's own misjudgement yet seeks to create his own reality were he is the victim and thus his appalling actions are justified.

After Schumacher was adjudged to have deliberately crashed into the side of Jacques Villeneuve's Williams in 1997, he (MS) was sent by the FIA on a car safety course.

Violent conduct on the football pitch is an immediate red card sending off offence and SV should IMO have been withdrawn from the Baku race following his improper and violent use of his car. The FIA may review telemetry before reaching a conclusion but unless my eyes deceive me SV made a deliberate steering input to crash into LH which was visible from the in car footage broadcast.

Those who have lost loved ones to terrorist outrages using vehicles as weapons may well have puked at the sight of a so-called professional using his car as a weapon to vent his misplaced anger.

A very bad day for F1 IMO and not the example to set youngsters coming up thru the racing ranks driving cars much less safe than F1 cars.

So what excuse does the BTCC use for there barging matches , and what kind of example does that set to our youthful driving bros ?

Seems to me the art of tin top bashing , punch ups and fist waving etc. is viewed as a necessary part of modern day sportsmanship .

Not that I'm a fan of BTCC,  just saying :t-up:

You know to expect contact (some of it very unsophisticated) in a dodgems series but F1 is the pinnacle of the sport--or it was.

Tintop clashes are different to open wheelers. Can't recall a touring car deliberately swerving into another but I guess it has happened.

Are we heading down a Nascar type route with 'nice' fat, heavy cars and plenty of crashes? It might boost a certain kind of audience.  I thought the skilful bit was to drive fast and avoid crashes.

Times change.

Re. BTCC I'm very impressed with Ash Sutton's clean driving of the Subaru and outclassing a much more experienced team mate.

also the rules have been changed in btcc that if your found to be bumping someone out of the way to gain a position you have to give it back

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/sebastian-vettel-face-no-further-10731733

With a long record of berating other drivers as "in the way" plus multiple obscenities in a variety of races, even directed at authority figures like Charlie Whiting, I have decided I will no longer view an automotive version of  The Jeremy Kyle Show and have a couple of hours every 2nd weekend to do more productive things.

IMO F1 has been in a lengthy decline, not helped by some ridiculous rule changes such as season end race 2014 Abu Dhabi double points experiment and the 2016 'no assistance' pit-radio to driver rule that didn't last the year.

Adios F1 and good luck.

Essentially 'F1 Community Service'  - Needed a 1 race ban (controversial I know) in my opinion, sends very clear message to the grid.

The disqualification needed to happen during the race. There's no point now as it'll be the FIA overruling the stewards.

• Like 1

I see Ferrari International Assistance have ruled no further punishment. What a surprise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, corsechris said:

I see Ferrari International Assistance have ruled no further punishment. What a surprise.

Not seen that phrase for years  ... was common in the MS era :d

And here's how cycling dealt with similar but non deliberate clash....

Sagen excluded from tour due to causing  Cavendish to crash -

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/04/mark-cavendish-crash-tour-de-france-stage-four

I think if he'd taken LH out it would have been a harsher punishment in the race as it wasn't a racing incident and was pure petulance .. which is why Sagen was removed as he took Cavendish out quite deliberately. 

7 hours ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

And here's how cycling dealt with similar but non deliberate clash....

Sagen excluded from tour due to causing  Cavendish to crash -

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/04/mark-cavendish-crash-tour-de-france-stage-four

As soon as I saw the crash my view was that a sanction had to be applied to Peter Sagan. He's a very likeable character with exceptional bike handling skills which makes the elbow out balancing theory even harder to understand.

I had expected Sagan to be placed last on the stage, fined about 5000 euros and docked about 30 points in the Green Jersey points competition; but would that have been justice? He moved from the painted centre line on the road to the road edge and Cavendish had nowhere to go as was already on the road edge. If Sagan had left room for Cavendish then he (Cav) would not now be out of the Tour with a broken shoulder. Cycle sprinting should be in a fairly straight line for safety reasons and the TDF commissaires had already warned the riders. As Sagan can usually win the points competition by about 80 points a small points deduction would make no difference and same with a fine for a multi-millionaire, so sadly exclusion it had to be.

No cojones FIA take note.