Sunglasses - Your recommendations please

dhutch

Having just turned thirty I have been treated to a pair of new sunglasses by my girlfriend but and struggling to find a pair I like or find time to try on a whole load.

We bought a pair of Oakley 'Straightlink' glasses as per the below link which we both like the look of, and the optics are incredible compared to my £20 pair, but sadly after about 90 minutes the bridge hurts my nose and I have to take them off.

Do people have any brands/models of similar looking glasses they recommend? Something comfortable and wrap around that is practical for use in the car and around water.

http://uk.oakley.com/en/mens/sunglasses/lifestyle-sunglasses/straightlink/straightlink-prizm-daily-polarized/product/W0OO9331PZD/?skuCode=OO9331-07&categoryCode=m020400003

Daniel 

I brought a pair of Oakleys last summer after I lost my vuarnet glasses I had a cheap pair as infill glasses in between which I had been wearing for about a month .when I tried on the Oakleys with the prizm lens I was impressed but after a few months  they really didn't do it for me after years of Vuarnet .so I went on the same mission as you're now on

The two short listed glasses we're Maui Jim's and Serengeti .

I managed to try out both brand's at a show on a sunny day

I found both really nice lens but the Maui Jim's were a bit like the Oakleys Just kind of toned down the brightness but the Serengeti's killed the glare but made the colours Pop 

My mate preferred the lens on the MJ's which were also like his raybans 

I settled on the Serengetis and really have been impressed with them and they also have photochromic lens which is a plus

Customer service is second to none .I had a big hug of my aunt when I last visited her And she managed to crush and brake the bridge on the frame still wearable Just not as stiff.i called them and was told to send them back for repair but when they received them they couldn't be repaired so was offered a choice of any new style and they also sent back my old one's which a bit of glue will fix so two pairs for the price of one

My vote goes for Maui Jim. 

Find them better than my previous Oakleys and RayBans. Very comfortable as well as great optics. Really kill the glare (more than tone down in my opinion)

Another vote for Maui Jim, bought a pair on the way to Barbados last year, very pleased.

I use these from Endura. They are cycling glasses, but are close to face and have vents to prevent misting. Pro's are they look good, impact protection for eyes,cheap to buy, wide nose piece so comfortable and rubber grips to stop sliding. Cons are they arent 'trendy' and too dark in the late evenings. I do have 3 pairs of Oakleys, but currently prefer these in the car. I have clear/ yellow cycling glasses for late evenings.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-mullet-glasses/rp-prod51325

I'm indulgently going to ask a supplementary to Daniels Q

& are there any with 'transitional' lense sunglasses suitable for blustery blats?

I love my awesome Adidas Elevation, with a lens for every type of light! But it's a pain swapping lenses parked up at side of road as sun disappears.

The Maui Jim's are fantastic optics there is no denying it as are the Serengetis At the end of the day it comes down to what you like in a lens ,I really like the Pop in the colours from Serengetis but my mate found it to much .I really would suggest try on as many different Len's type's as you can before you hand over your hard earned cash

Another vote for the Maui Jims. Really comfortable to wear and great at reducing the glare.

7 minutes ago, Sparkymart said:

........I really would suggest try on as many different Len's type's as you can before you hand over your hard earned cash

This, as we all have slightly different shaped and sized faces :)

Oakley M frames, polarised lens.  Not for the car tho...!

2 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

I'm indulgently going to ask a supplementary to Daniels Q

& are there any with 'transitional' lense sunglasses suitable for blustery blats?

I love my awesome Adidas Elevation, with a lens for every type of light! But it's a pain swapping lenses parked up at side of road as sun disappears.

The new Serengetis are a 2/3 Grade lens 4 being the darkest not recommended for driving (according to their website) the lens do darken  the brighter it is.i was told when I Got them that they are UV activated so will still darken in a car Which some others won't

3 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

This, as we all have slightly different shaped and sized faces :)

I go for the Len's first them a style I like with that lens .Also the Vuarnet are a really nice lens and I would definitely have another pair of them 

2 hours ago, Sparkymart said:

I brought a pair of Oakleys last summer.....  I was impressed but after a few months  they really didn't do it for me after years of Vuarnet .so I went on the same mission as you're now on

The two short listed glasses we're Maui Jim's and Serengeti .

I managed to try out both brand's at a show on a sunny day

I found both really nice lens but the Maui Jim's were a bit like the Oakleys Just kind of toned down the brightness but the Serengeti's killed the glare but made the colours Pop My mate preferred the lens on the MJ's which were also like his raybays 

2 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

My vote goes for Maui Jim. 

Find them better than my previous Oakleys and RayBans. Very comfortable as well as great optics. Really kill the glare (more than tone down in my opinion)

Sounds like two good brands to look at.

2 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

I use these from Endura. They are cycling glasses, but are close to face and have vents to prevent misting.

Fair enough. Plenty of scope for a few more cost effective pairs for keeping in the car/boat as and when I or friends get caught short.

• 2 weeks later...

Pair of Maui Jim's ordered!

Only managed to try on a different model (Kaki) and an older model in bronze, but selected the 'Peahi' with Neutral Gray tint, which appears to give the most true colour rather than the Bronze which is intended to warm/improve the view. Hopefully they will turn up before we leave at 4am on Saturday! Asked about prescription as while I don't normally wear glasses I am mildly astigmatic, but apparently that almost doubles the cost and obviously blows the leadtime well out of the next day window.

I must say, while the lens of the Oakleys where equally impressive (in a bit rose tinted, for me) the quality of the frame on the pair I tried on was seriously impressive. Watch this space.

Daniel