This evening's idiot nearly killed me!

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

Link to Youtube deleted as discussed lower down the thread.

Audi R8 registration number VERY notable but kept to myself until I decide whether to speak to TV Police. Iy is not quite what I at first thought I had read but now I know better. The location is A4010 heading south (me) or north (him), near the Golden Cross at south Saunderton. Time and date are correct. If I had not being obeying the 40mph limit it would have been a guaranteed fatal head-on. I was unable to go anywhere and he was doing at least 70 so couldn't have avoided hitting me. 

Eeek - that's very bad! Definitely pass onto Police imo, you may potential save someones life further down the line by doing so.

David, I must say I am seriously tempted to do so because it was only a few yards away from a massive head-on. He'd been overtaking a line of cars and found himself stranded on the wrong side of the road with a bend coming up and a traffic island stopping his return to the left hand side. He was travelling at a Hell of a rate. I know the registration - although I got it wrong at the time as you hear on the clip, There are very few white R8s at all let alone those with a three digit registration mark so a couple of alterations of what I thought I saw and bingo! Google doesn't come up with any clues as to the owner. I've been around a while and never been quite so close to copping it in a million miles of driving.

I agree with Dave, take a copy to Police.  Idiots like that will repeat and repeat if they think they can until someone gets seriously hurt.

A few points may slow them down a little and make them realise there is a time and place for stretching your car....!

Overtaking through junctions and on the wrong side of a keep left bollard. Not big or clever and will come unstuck at some point. 

Police...

But if you do, pull it from YouTube straight away. For the Police to use it, it needs to be evidence and should not be in the public domain.

I know this because nearly a year back I provided the Police with dash cam video footage of something that was bad enough to go to court for Dangerous...

When it's done and dusted, will share the details.

1 hour ago, CraigHew said:

Idiots like that will repeat and repeat if they think they can until someone gets seriously hurt.

And Yes - it's almost your 'duty' to flag this dangler up to the authorities - he will eventually wipe somebody out until the tool realizes there are consequences and eyes everywhere.

Big money to get big cars does not automatically equate to big common sense and responsibility.

Good tip re Youtube, thanks.

2 hours ago, John K said:

Police...

But if you do, pull it from YouTube straight away. For the Police to use it, it needs to be evidence and should not be in the public domain.

I know this because nearly a year back I provided the Police with dash cam video footage of something that was bad enough to go to court for Dangerous...

When it's done and dusted, will share the details.

Evidence can be in the public domain as long as it does not contain confidential information which is not normally in the public domain

Thanks to Terry for the correction / clarification... I'm neither a lawyer nor a policeman. So was just assuming*...

*ADDED: Was also asked not to post my video footage online by the police who came to take my statement and copy of video.

Thanks chaps - it's now private anyway so inaccessible. Still undecided what to do with it.

5 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Thanks chaps - it's now private anyway so inaccessible. Still undecided what to do with it.

To be honest, it's easy to say (like I did,) "Go to the police" but the amount of stress that any follow up can cause isn't to be underestimated. Trust me on that one...

And whilst it doesn't mean tools like this should be able to get away with it, but realistically what will the Bill be able to do..? Different if (Lord forbid) something had happened, but would the CPS prosecute somebody "just for being a dangler"?

29 minutes ago, John K said:

To be honest, it's easy to say (like I did,) "Go to the police" but the amount of stress that any follow up can cause isn't to be underestimated. Trust me on that one...

And whilst it doesn't mean tools like this should be able to get away with it, but realistically what will the Bill be able to do..? Different if (Lord forbid) something had happened, but would the CPS prosecute somebody "just for being a dangler"?

They may do if they can, But Will give a warning at least.

Colleague gave police video evidence of driver cutting him up almost running him off road. They thanked him and later told him the person had been spoken to and given a warning.

• Like 1

What I'd really like to do is tip off his insurers (yes, it is insured) so that his premium quadruples next time - if they will still insure him. I don't twitter nor do I book faces so I can't shame him on the chattersphere. Technically there's an anonymous tip-off of dangerous driving on the DVLA website. They say the information is passed to the police. However nothing more than a metaphorical scolding would result from that with no corroborating testimony. However the link is broken anyway.