How to delete a topic?

I want to delete a topic I started - the only options under "moderation" is 'hide' and then you need to give a reason.

Any advise?

Yes. Hide it. You don't have to give a detailed reason, if you really don't want to give a reason, just put a random character. :d

Deleting posts and topics never used to be an option with older versions of the Boardroom. However it was enabled on a previous version as in the event of accidental deletions, the information could be relatively easily recovered as long as an admin was notified quickly. 

On the current version of the Boardroom, this is not possible, and deleting stuff was remarkably easy. So easy that several members deleted entire threads by accident. The only way to get them back was for Webmaster Chris to spend time going through the Boardrooms back ups and restoring the individual threads. 

Therefore a decision was made to change the option from delete to hide. From a day to day point of view, it achieves the same immediate goal - the post or thread is no longer visible on the Boardroom, to other members. IF for some reason you feel a thread or a post must be deleted entirely, then just like the old days, please ask a moderator.

• Like 1

Yep - restoring deleted threads is a BIG job - so hence this is the chosen method now.

Ok thats fine, thanks - I take it "hiding" a topic removes it from search (wscc and google) and from the topic list in my profile?

1 hour ago, RussH said:

Ok thats fine, thanks - I take it "hiding" a topic removes it from search (wscc and google) and from the topic list in my profile?

As it can't be seen by anyone other than an admin, I would say so. Google spiders do not have the privs!

Want me to bin anything for you?

Thanks Chris, happy to hide it :)

Did a quick experiment before lunch; as far as Google is concerned, hiding/deleting have the same effect. With either, if the post in question hasn't been crawled, then it won't show. If you come back to alter the threads status with either a delete or a hide option, after the bots have catalogued it, then the usual Google entry will show. This has always been the case...

However, even if Google has indexed the deleted or hidden post/thread, if you click on it, it will come back as not found.

Thanks Dave.

Now the most important question......does it get deducted from my post count? :d

:laugh: probably not!