Shocks and springs

Ross (Rosshbar)

Need new shocks, going to fit new on all four corners , don need to replace springs? I have no dampening on one of the rears hence replacement job, but have chromes springs on the front do I really need to replace springs

There is  not much to go wrong with a spring.    As long as there is no loss of material due to rust or ! Grinder!  Also unlikely on a westfield that the springs have been fatigued by over loading or excessive mileage.  Theres not really a need to change the springs.  Mostly people change them just to change rate or just to have new springs to match the dampers.    The choice is yours . 

• Like 1

Thanks, as I thought. Why should I go with spax over procomp :d:d

There's plenty that have fitted Protect and are very pleased. (But we would be coz they replaced failing old often unsuitable shocks.)

Not sure how many have fitted the new Spax, but would be interesting to hear more feedback from those who have fitted them.

1494354389136316718576.thumb.jpg.6d7c534ea5208e41021e1e41a8b3523f.jpgI fitted the new Spax shocks all round and Also fitted springs at the same time including the  progressive rear springs. Not sure on what spring rate's to fit  I went with the huge amount of advice I got from Tony @DamperMan and the results were night and day (Tony also powder coated them black instead of Spax yellow) , Tony couldn't have been more helpful and no point did I feel like I was just being fed sale's talk to get Me to buy .

I've since had a full  Geo done by Matt Seabrook ( ex south West AO ) in Bodmin and the car is like nothing I've ever driven feels so planted and positive even though I changed too nylon bushes the ride is not too firm .

I know Tony is the MD at Spax but he's not just a bean counting pen pusher he's proper engineer and ex R&D ( if I remember correctly) And the way I see it if your going to develop And make a item to fit to your own car , with the facilities he has available you would make it as good or even better than you can already buy of the shelf.i can't say that the Spax shocks are any better than the others mentioned as a lot of people have them fitted to there car's And there are some excellent reviews on here about them from people more qualified to  review them that I will ever be And I was going too go down the same route as it's often better the devil you know but I have no regrets with my choice.

• Like 6

Cheers sparkymart.  It's nice to get some praise :).... I'm no sales person, that's true.    20 years of damper design I hope to be qualified offer advise free of techno babble.  Any advise I give I try to be impartial....  I'm a little biased so If anyone wants to buy anything that's a bonus which helps justify my paid up trader status. :).     

• Like 3