oil pressue gauge

snowy892

But Steve mentioned that 5 bar may be just a tad too low?  Guess there are no 7.5 bar gauges ;)  

I asked the seller of the engine to confirm, and he offered me the gauge that matches the sender as he's going digital...  Brilliant!

Oh, and whilst I was trying to identify the sensor I have without removing it (fruitless effort :( ), I noticed another sensor next to it behind the engine mount plate.  I am assuming this is an oil temperature sensor?

2017-03-03 09.36.31.jpg2017-03-03 09.37.39.jpg2017-03-03 09.40.18.jpg

That is the standard oil pressure switch try your wire on that for the oil light 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rjc4176 said:

That is the standard oil pressure switch try your wire on that for the oil light 

Brilliant!  That's a relief...  Cheers!

Yes, 10 Bar is rather high (145 psi) - most engines will be around 3.5 to 4 bar when warm and about 1.5 at idle (depending on oil type and engine condition).

You'd almost certainly hit the stops on a 5 bar gauge when cold (72.5 psi) but that would / should soon drop down as it warms up.

If you must go for a "bar" type gauge I'd go for a 5 as the engine will spend most of it's time in the upper middle to lower range and that's where you want the clarity - on a 10 bar it'd look like it was always at the lower end of the scale and difficult to see much variation.

Of course if you went mechanical with a 100psi gauge (VDO do one) then you have a full scale on the dial as well as clearly defined segments (you also then don't need a whopping great sender hanging off the block - also easy to T in a pressure light switch).

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/instruments-displays-and-clusters/by-series/vision-black/oil-pressure/vision-black-100-psi-mechanical-oil-pressure-gauge-with-tubing-kit-and-metric-thread-adapters-12v.html

Being old school I still prefer PSI when it comes to oil pressure (but strangely enough MM when it comes to measurement - one of the joys of being ambidextrous :rolleyes:)

• Like 1