Any experience of Three Pots..?

John K

7 hours ago, SootySport said:

Just don't buy the old 3pot Corsa, they were truly awful.

You can remove the text "3pot" and the sentence is still valid

Sorry :getmecoat:

Used to have, and my ex-wife still does have a 2003 1200cc 3 pot VW Polo, I used to love driving it, it was slow but the porche flat 6 like noise was brilliant, more recently with hire cars i've had Nissan and Skoda 3 potters, the noise makes me smile as much as driving a V8.

But, I also had the pleasure, and it was that of having a couple of drives in the Caterham 160s, with the Suzuki 660cc 80bhp 3 cylinder engine, i thoroughly loved it apart from the wide gear ratios especially IIRC between 2nd and 3rd where if not careful the engine comes off boost, it needs boost! 

• Like 1

Many years ago I had a Suzuki 380GT, which had 3 pots, and only 2 wheels! that was so smooth that it was the first vehicle I came across which had a gear indicator on the console, and it needed it. 

I drive a Focus 3 pot with 125bhp! Used to have a Triumph Street Triple too!

The Focus sounds and drives really nice, and sometimes it's hard to believe it's the same cc as a crappy old Mini I had in the 80's!

It lacks a bit of go sometimes if you want to pull away fast (but not as bad as an Audi TT 225bhp I used to have).

On the motorway it's quite impressive, but on a long steep hill it struggles (like Telegraph Hill out of Exeter towards Torbay).

I've had 2, 4 pot Focus ST's but swapped to the 3 pot as it's more comfortable on long runs and less nickable, it's just too boring!

Last month I nearly swapped it for the 5 door Fiesta ST, but they're all sold out, so am tempted to get the new 5 door ST at the end of the year.

Lol, I remember the 3 pot 2 strokes, seizing the middle cylinder!!

9 minutes ago, Ianboom said:

On the motorway it's quite impressive, but on a long steep hill it struggles (like Telegraph Hill out of Exeter towards Torbay).

The 200Nm overboost lasts for 15 secs, then it falls back to 170Nm. If you back off the accelerator, then the timer resets and you get another 15 secs...